Painting + Drawing
With a Painting + Drawing Concentration in the Bachelor of Fine Arts Program, you’ll build strong technical skills with hands-on studio time. You will also develop problem-solving and decision-making skills for all artistic disciplines in a classroom setting.
This is an intense and immersive studio experience, coupled with inspiration from world-class art museums in the city and exposure to a wide range of visiting artists and critics.
- Student Spotlight
- Faculty Spotlight
- Alumni & Careers
The structure of our curriculum allows you to focus on painting and drawing while also exploring and collaborating across other fine arts disciplines. You'll expand your cultural and intellectual understanding of the world, and prepare to navigate the complexities of being an artist in today's world.
In the Fine Arts major, you’ll study with professional working artists who exhibit nationally and internationally.
Click the images below to read more.
Sample Courses in the Fine Arts Major with an emphasis in Painting + Drawing
About the Curriculum
The curriculum of the Fine Arts Major with an emphasis in Painting + Drawing is based on a framework of research, studio experimentation, artistic invention, and daily practice. Personal vision and artistic innovation anchor the development of work for significant cultural contributions and dialogue, gallery and museum exhibitions as well as creating work for diverse communities and public spaces. To that end, students will be given assignments designed to develop conceptual skills and become proficient in the necessary processes and techniques appropriate to their artistic vision and intention.
Students who complete the Fine Arts Major with an emphasis in Painting + Drawing will:
- Demonstrate independent, creative problem solving and original thinking through the development of a distinct and personal approach to art making informed by contemporary issues and historical precedents.
- Demonstrate critical and conceptual development through research and analysis, applying readings, theories and methodologies toward the production of critically informed artworks.
- Acquire and demonstrate the professional skills needed to be successful as practicing artists, entrepreneurs, and productive citizens, including further study at the graduate level.
- Effectively communicate, orally and in writing, the thoughts behind their choices and decisions concerning content and strategies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in a number of advanced techniques in their individual studio practice, including a deep familiarity with materials and processes.
To earn the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Fine Arts, with an emphasis in Painting + Drawing, students will complete a total of 126 credits as follows:
- 39 credits in the Fine Arts Major (including 5 classes in Painting + Drawing)
- 18 credits in College of Art, Media + Design Core Studies
- 6 credits in School of Art Core
- 4.5 credits in Creative Practices and Collaborative Studio
- 12 credits in Art History
- 30 credits in Liberal Arts
- 16.5 credits in Free Electives
UArts Painting + Drawing alumni are carving out successful and fulfilling careers in their specific disciplines and across many creative fields.
Click the images below to read more.
Start your application
Begin your application today. Our admissions team will help you throughout the process.
See UArts for yourself
The best way to get to know UArts is by visiting our campus in person. Come see a show, visit a gallery, and get to know the neighborhood.
Not sure where to start?
We're glad you want to learn more. Our admissions team is happy to send additional information about our school.