Applicants who have academic documents from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to provide original, attested or certified true copies of academic records for all institutions attended beginning with the first year of secondary school (high school). These records should be in the original language issued. Secondary school transcripts can be waived for transfer applicants who have completed 24 credits of college-level coursework at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. with a minimum of 18 academic credits.

For records not in English, applicants must also submit an official translation of all academic documents. Translations must be a complete, literal, word-for-word translation in the same format of the original academic document. 

All foreign secondary (high school level) and post-secondary (university level) transcripts should be converted into U.S. educational equivalencies. Those records that are not converted into U.S. equivalencies must be evaluated by an external evaluation agency. The evaluation should include*: 

  • Name of educational institution
  • Country where institution is located
  • Length of study
  • U.S. educational equivalent (high school, two-year college, four-year college)
  • Courses studied per academic year
  • Conversion of grades/marks/final examination results into equivalent U.S. grades of A, B, C, D or F for each course evaluated
  • Total credits earned
  • Conversion of course hours into U.S. semester hours of credit
  • Cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4-point scale
  • U.S. degree equivalent

*A course-by-course evaluation may be needed for transfer students who have taken college or university-level courses outside of the U. S. and wish to receive credit for their previous coursework.

The University of the Arts should be listed as the recipient of the evaluation. The original academic records must be submitted in addition to the evaluation.

It is the applicant's responsibility to contract directly with the agency for this service and provide the necessary documents. Please review the requirements for each agency carefully as the policy regarding document submission can vary based on your country.  While applicants may use any accredited evaluating agency, the University recommends World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).

Instructions and application can be obtained directly from:

World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: 1-212-966-6311
Fax: 1-212-739-6100

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee WI 53203-3470
Telephone: 414-289-3400