Art, Design, & Film Portfolios
Demonstrate your strengths and experience in the visual arts, design and film.
All students applying to visual arts programs are required to submit 15-20 examples of original artwork. You may choose to include work from a variety of media or select one area of focus you want to highlight. Your portfolio should demonstrate your creativity, showcase your skills, represent the art forms you have studied and highlight your ability to communicate ideas.
Submitting Your Portfolio
Before Applying: If you haven't yet submitted your application for admission, you are encouraged to request a preliminary portfolio review with a UArts Admissions counselor or faculty member, who will offer recommendations for enhancement prior to formal evaluation. Preliminary reviews are offered Monday through Friday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., and on select Saturdays.
After Applying: Once you have submitted your application for admission, first-time freshmen applicants must contact the Office of Admissions to register for an official portfolio review. Transfer students will be contacted by the Office of Admissions to arrange a portfolio review once all college transcripts have been received and evaluated.
Online Submission: Freshmen and transfer applicants may submit their portfolio online via SlideRoom. Applicants may upload images (jpg), video (mov, wmv, flv) or pdf documents. For good image quality and fast upload, images should be sized no larger than 1280 x 1280 px @ 72 dpi. Video files must be kept under 20 MB. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instructions for submitting work online. You must provide documentation of the work submitted including a description of the concept, project or problem involved.
Accepted Types of Media
Here are examples of the types of media to consider including in your portfolio.
- Drawings from life: figure drawing, still life, landscape
- Drawings in charcoal, ink, pastel, pencil, etc.
- Paintings: oil, acrylic, watercolor, etc.
- Sketchbooks/process books
- Illustration, storyboards, character design, concept art
- Prints: traditional (etching, monotypes, silkscreen, etc.) and digital
- Design: posters, book covers, web graphics, use of typography
- Collage, mixed media
- Photography: traditional, digital, black and white, color
- Screen shots from original films or video
- Sculpture: metal, plaster, stone, wood, etc.
- Crafts: ceramics, metals, textile design, fibers, glass, jewelry, furniture (wood)
- Product and toy design
- Book arts
- Fashion, costume design
- Extended media: architectural models, mixed media, model construction, set design
- Installation: site-specific objects in the environment
If submitting work from this category, you may submit a minimum of 2 pieces.
- Animation production: individual and/or collaborative productions
- Film/video production: individual and/or collaborative productions. State your role in the production. Up to 5 screen shots per film will be accepted as two- dimensional work.
- Interactive media
- Website authoring: site design, site graphics
- Flash or Director animations or interactive productions
- Interactive DVD work combining more than one art form
Have a question?
Office of Admissions
320 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102