Art, Design, & Film Portfolios
Demonstrate your strengths and experience in visual arts, design and film.
In order to continuously keep our community healthy, we are offering portfolio reviews by virtual appointment, at a National Portfolio Day, through remote live events or online submissions. The instructions for online submission can be found below, and if you have any questions, email email@example.com or call 215-717-6049.
All students applying to visual arts programs are required to submit 15–20 examples of original artwork. You may choose to include work from a variety of media or select one area of focus you want to highlight. Your portfolio should demonstrate your creativity, showcase your skills, represent the art forms you have studied and highlight your ability to communicate ideas.
Submitting Your Portfolio
Before Applying: If you haven't yet submitted your application for admission, you are encouraged to request a preliminary portfolio review with a UArts Admissions counselor, who will offer recommendations for enhancement prior to formal evaluation. Preliminary reviews are offered Monday through Friday at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. or 3 p.m. (EST). Please share your portfolio via SlideRoom, share a Google Doc link or website URL prior to your scheduled review. You may also have a review during a National Portfolio Day.
After Applying: Once you have submitted your application for admission, first-time freshman applicants must register for an official portfolio review or submit work via SlideRoom. Transfer students will be contacted by the Office of Admissions to arrange an official portfolio review once all college transcripts have been received and evaluated. Transfer students interested in informal feedback may schedule a review session prior to their official portfolio review.
Online Submission: Freshman and transfer applicants may submit a portfolio online via SlideRoom. Applicants may upload images (jpg), video (mov, wmv, flv) or PDF documents. For good image quality and fast upload, images should be sized no larger than 1280 x 1280 px @ 72 dpi. Video files must be kept under 20 MB. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instructions for submitting work online. You must provide documentation of the work submitted, including a description of the concept, project or problem involved.
Accepted Types of Media
Below are examples of the types of media to consider including in your portfolio.
- Drawings from life: figure drawing, still life, landscape
- Drawings in charcoal, ink, pastel, pencil, etc.
- Paintings: oil, acrylic, watercolor, etc.
- Sketchbooks/process books
- Illustration, storyboards, character design, concept art
- Prints: traditional (etching, monotypes, silkscreen, etc.) and digital
- Design: posters, book covers, web graphics, use of typography
- Collage, mixed media
- Photography: traditional, digital, black and white, color
- Screenshots from original films or video
- Sculpture: metal, plaster, stone, wood, etc.
- Crafts: ceramics, metals, textile design, fibers, glass, jewelry, furniture (wood)
- Product and toy design
- Book arts
- Fashion, costume design
- Extended media: architectural models, mixed media, model construction, set design
- Installation: site-specific objects in the environment
If submitting work from this category, you may submit a minimum of two pieces.
- Animation production: individual and/or collaborative productions
- Film/video production: individual and/or collaborative productions. State your role in the production. Up to five screenshots per film will be accepted as two-dimensional work.
- Interactive media
- Website authoring: site design, site graphics
- Flash or Director animations or interactive productions
- Interactive DVD work combining more than one art form