Apply to UArts
Take Your Talent to the Next Level
Thank you for your interest in applying to University of the Arts. Our students are makers, doers, dreamers and thinkers who bring unique points of view to their art, pushing the boundaries of their fields to innovate their crafts. Our interdisciplinary education, accomplished faculty of industry professionals and small class sizes have produced successful, award-winning alumni who are leaders in a variety of fields.
The collaborative nature of UArts is one of the main reasons I chose to attend the University, and specifically chose the Sculpture program. It is truly inspiring to see so many different works of art covering almost every medium you can think of; each presenting a unique perspective and personal voice”—Olivia Lane BFA ’20 (Fine Arts)
Ready to submit your application? We offer online applications for all of our graduate and undergraduate degree programs. Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, so there is no deadline for admission consideration. Applications typically take 15 minutes to complete.
A completed application for admission includes:
- A nonrefundable $60 application fee
- Official high school transcripts
- Official transcripts from the high school(s) you have attended are required. They must be mailed directly by your school in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions, or sent through a secure electronic transcript delivery service. Transcripts sent as faxes or email attachments are not considered official. They should be sent to the Office of Admissions, University of the Arts, 320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102 or via email to email@example.com.
- For transcripts from outside the U.S., refer to the instructions for international undergraduate students.
Art Education, Book Arts & Printmaking, Crafts Studio, Devised Performance, Jazz Studies, Museum Studies programs, Music Education and Product Design.
How To Apply
Navigating the application process can be challenging. We've created a series of how-to-apply videos to help assist you.
What to Do After Completing Your UArts Application
Once your application is complete, you will need to submit a writing sample, the creative requirement and any optional materials.
A writing sample
- Your writing sample should address one of the following questions, interpreted as you wish. There is no right or wrong answer.
- When and how did you discover your creativity?
- How will University of the Arts help you achieve your creative and professional goals?
- How do you want your creativity to impact the future?
- Submit an existing piece of writing, such as an essay or class assignment, on any topic.
- Pay attention to grammar, spelling and punctuation. There is no required word count, but we recommend a 250-word statement, which is about one double-spaced page. You can upload your sample with your application for admission, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The creative requirement
- Applicants to programs in the Schools of Art, Design and Film will need to submit a portfolio of their original work.
- Applicants to programs in the Schools of Dance, Music or Theater will need to audition and/or interview.
- Creative Writing and Screenwriting applicants will need to submit a portfolio of original written work.
- You can also submit SAT scores, a résumé and/or letters of recommendation. None of these materials are required. Learn more about submitting optional materials.
You can learn about undergraduate and graduate degree requirements on your desired program’s page. You can also find more information about the curriculum and all our majors and minors.
UArts programs measure up
- In 2020, Music School Central named the School of Music #2 of The 10 Best “Hidden Gem” Music Schools.
- In 2020, the Animation program at UArts was ranked #8 in Animation Career Review’s Top 25 East Coast Animation Schools.
- In 2020, the Illustration program at UArts was ranked #10 in Animation Career Review’s East Coast Illustration schools and #21 in its list of the Top 40 Illustration schools in the U.S.
- In 2019, Music School Central ranked the Music Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology program at UArts among the top 10 programs for music business in the nation.
The Public Safety department at University of the Arts works 24/7 to ensure the safety and security of faculty, staff and students at the University, as well as visitors to our campus.
The Admissions team is here to answer any questions you might have about the application process, our programs or life at UArts. You can reach out to your admissions counselor or contact Admissions directly by emailing email@example.com or calling 800-616-ARTS.