International Undergraduate Students

Come join the unconventional thinkers, dreamers, and doers who come to University of the Arts from around the world to impact the world through their creative works.

University of the Arts sits on the Avenue of the Arts in the center of Philadelphia — the 6th largest city in the United States.  

We are the only university on the east coast of America that is solely dedicated to art, design, film, dance, music, theater, and creative writing.

Our neighborhood offers numerous galleries, museums, independent theaters, cinemas, venues for music and dance, restaurants, cafes, shops, and parks all within easy walking distance. New York City and Washington, D.C., are within easy reach by train.

Our admission process for international students is designed for us to get to know each other — and to help you decide if UArts is the right place for you.  

We look forward to getting to know you.

Request more information.

Resources for International Students

University of the Arts is proud of its international population. In an effort to meet the special needs of international students, the university has developed a network of personnel and offices to provide specialized services to students from abroad.

International Student Programs

We offer international students services through UArts' International Student Programs, whose goal is to help students from abroad adjust to life in the United States.

Learn More

About Philadelphia

Philadelphia is the home to locally and nationally renowned organizations, museums, theaters and venues, and the home of many prominent designers, performers, writers and some of the world’s most creative individuals. Get to know “the coolest city in America” and the place our campus and students call home.

Get to know Philadelphia

Take a Virtual Tour

Anchored on the vibrant Avenue of the Arts, our campus is located in the cultural district in the heart of downtown Philadelphia.

Start Virtual Tour

Admissions Deadlines for International Students


UArts offers recommended priority deadlines; international students who apply and submit all required materials by the priority deadline will receive first consideration for scholarship aid from University of the Arts. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling, space-available basis. 

UArts international students who already hold an F-1 visa or do not need an F-1 visa to study in the U.S. might be able to apply after the priority deadline. Contact Admissions  for guidance if you are an international student who wishes to apply after the priority deadline.

Spring 2024 priority deadline: Oct. 15, 2023

Fall 2024 priority deadline: Feb. 15, 2024

We cannot accept spring 2024 applications after Jan. 8, 2024, and cannot accept fall 2024 applications after Aug. 16, 2024.

International Student Application Requirements

  • Start or resume your application.

    • The application includes two required short-answer questions: What excites you about UArts? What inspires you?

  • $60 nonrefundable application fee

    • If the cost of the application fee is a barrier, contact Admissions to request a fee waiver code.

  • Official high school transcript

    • Official transcripts must be sent directly from your school by mail, email or a secure electronic document-delivery service. 

    • For secondary school records not in English, applicants must also submit an official translation of all their academic documents. Translations must be a complete, literal, word-for-word translation in the same format of the original academic document. Transcripts cannot be translated by the student or any members of their family. Acceptable translators include English teachers or other school officials, professional translators, or a local EducationUSA office. Credential evaluation companies are not required for secondary school transcripts.

    • High school transcripts may be waived for international transfer applicants who have completed a minimum of 24 credits of college-level coursework, including a minimum of 18 academic, non-studio credits.

  • Official college/university transcript(s)

    • For international transfer applicants, official transcripts must be sent directly from all the colleges you have attended by mail, email or a secure electronic document-delivery service. 

    • If you’ve attended college outside the U.S., you are required to send an official course-by-course evaluation of your college coursework to UArts. View additional guidelines for international transcripts. 

  • Test of English proficiency

    • For international applicants whose primary language is not English — and who have not completed two years of study at a secondary school where the language of instruction is English, or completed two semesters of college-level English in a college/university where the language of instruction is English — proof of English proficiency is required. 

    • Recommended minimums for English proficiency exams are as follows. 

      • TOEFL iBT: 79
      • TOEFL essentials: 8.5
      • IELTS: 6.5
      • Pearson PTE Academic: 53
      • Duolingo: 100
    • Applicants who meet the academic and creative requirements for admission but whose scores do not meet the English proficiency requirement for degree study might receive an offer of conditional admission that requires enrollment in the university’s English as a Second Language Institute (ESLI). Applicants who successfully complete ESLI will then be able to begin their degree program studies in the fall semester.

    • In special circumstances, international applicants who do not have access to the TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English tests can request a waiver of this requirement. The request should be submitted by email to Requests will then be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and might require an interview.

  • Audition or portfolio 

    • A portfolio is required for all Art, Design, Film and Writing programs. The portfolio may be uploaded during the application process or via your applicant status portal after submission. You must confirm when your submission is complete via the linked electronic form before your portfolio can be reviewed for admission. View a full list of portfolio requirements by program. 

    • Auditions or interviews are required for all Dance, Music and Theater programs. After submitting your application, go to your applicant status portal to register for your virtual or on-campus audition day. View a full list of audition requirements by program. 

  • Optional letters of recommendation

    • Letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors are optional and may be submitted by the recommender via email to or by your high school through a secure electronic document-delivery service. 

Visa Process

Accept an Offer of Admission

Admitted international students must submit a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $300. If you wish to live in campus housing, you will also need to submit a $200 housing deposit. International students who require an F-1 visa are strongly encouraged to submit their deposit by May 15 for fall start terms or Nov. 1 for spring start terms. 

F-1 Visa Application

UArts requires that all international applicants submit proof of sufficient available funds to cover all their educational and personal expenses while studying at University of the Arts. All applicants intending to seek or hold an F-1 visa must submit 

  1. a Certificate of Finances,

  2. bank statements from the past three months and 

  3. a copy of your passport.

The Certificate of Finances form must be completed in English and notarized by your bank official. This statement must declare the availability of U.S. $79,776 (2024-2025) to cover the cost of one year of education and personal expenses. The I-20 form cannot be issued without a valid Certificate of Finances.

Once the university receives the enrollment materials noted above, we will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20AB). You must take Form I-20AB along with financial documentation to the United States Consulate in your country, in order to obtain an F-1 student visa, which will be issued for the length of your program at UArts. The I-20 form cannot be issued without a valid Certificate of Finances. Email to receive the Certificate of Finances form.

It is very important to obtain an F-1 visa before you leave your home country. Once you are in the U.S., the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) makes it difficult to convert a visitor’s visa to an F-1 visa. In the event that you must enter the country on a visitor’s visa, have Prospective Student stamped on the visa page.

Transferring a Current F-1 Visa

International transfer students must inform the USCIS of a change in educational institutions. To do this, you can use the UArts I-20AB form to re-enter the country (as long as your visa is valid), or you can bring the I-20AB to the International Student Programs office.

If you are transferring from a U.S. school, you must consult with the international officer at the school you are currently attending. Your current institution must release your record to SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) before we can issue you a Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS Form I-20) for study at University of the Arts. We will email you a transfer verification form that should be completed and returned.

University of the Arts is required by law to cooperate with the United States Department of Justice and the USCIS regarding rules and regulations governing foreign students. The university’s director of International Student Programs will counsel you on immigration regulations.

Questions? We're here to help.

Request more info.

Contact Admissions.

Mara Flamm
Director, International Student Programs