UArts recognizes that in an increasingly global society, experience abroad can make a significant impact on an artist’s work. Immersion in another culture provides intellectual enrichment and exposure to new ways of making and creating. Study Away programs take you out of your comfort zone to expand on the lessons you’ve learned on campus and broaden your world view.
Academic Planning and Application
Most students find that a semester abroad works best in their third year of study. Planning should begin in the fall of the second year – or even the first year at UArts. Petitions to study abroad take some time to complete. Begin planning now for your adventure abroad!
*A list of all study abroad and exchange schools, with corresponding UArts academic discipline, is available on the Application.
The Short Travel program consists of faculty-led Study Away courses that meet during academic breaks: Winter (mid-December to mid-January), Spring (generally the second week in March), and Summer (generally mid-May through Mid-August). Six to ten travel experiences are offered each academic/calendar year. Short Travel course packages range from $3,200 - $4,500 for a two-week experience.
Short Travel Trips typically include:
International or domestic airfare or ground transportation
Transportation from site to site, city to city
Accommodations and special meals
Immersive cultural experiences and free time to explore
Knowledgeable tour guides
Admission to cultural sites
24-hour emergency assistance
Additional tuition fees apply when auditing, course overloading, and in the summer semester. You'll receive credit in the semester of the experience. Most of the courses are open to UArts students outside of the program major.
Student Financial Services provides counseling and information for students who wish to study abroad.
You should budget for passport application fees, any non-included meals (see your itinerary for details), an international cell phone plan, optional Travel Protection Plan, luggage overage fees and hotel incidentals.
Cancellation & Refunds
Deposits are only refundable if the class is canceled or if your application is denied. You can use financial aid to pay deposits.
How to Prepare for Your Travel Experience
- Attend information session(s) and pre-departure sessions.
- Review the program policies.
- Review the Study Away Educational Accessibility information.
- Prepare your travel documents.
- Check on Visa requirements for your expected travel dates and destinations.
- Review the Passport FAQ
- Consider health preparations and insurance.
- Make financial preparations—meet with Student Financial Services as soon as you know you want to participate in a Study Away program.
- Compile the contact information to use in case of emergency and keep it handy.
- Prepare for your trip with language support and assistance—the UArts Library website has a great resource for learning languages called Pronunciator.
Dr. Mara Flamm, Director of International Programs