<< Back to Study Away Programs

How do I get a Passport?

View the Passport FAQs page

Can I apply before I have a passport?

Yes, but you will not be able to submit the Supplemental Travel Documents form until a passport is uploaded.

Can I book an alternative flight from the group?

Yes, however, a minimum of ten participants on the group flight is required.  Once we hit this benchmark, the option for separate itineraries becomes available. 

Once UArts confirms the final roster and the minimum is met for the group flight, those seeking a separate flight will be able to register with WorldStrides in their portal. From there, you will be prompted to provide the information for your air request, and the Air Specialist will provide you with a quote and routing option. Once you confirm how you would like to proceed, your itinerary will be booked and ticketed.

A couple points on the above:

1.       You can only have two revision requests from the original quote, so providing as much information as possible is important on the original request.

2.      The airfare will be subject to market fare at the time of booking. The Air Specialist will let the student know what the booking rate will be for their preferred routing.

3.      Once ticketed, the student is responsible for the entire airfare cost. Airfare is non-refundable.

Who can I contact with questions about travel courses?

Mara Flamm, Director of International Student Services - mflamm@uarts.edu


How many students can go on the trip?

It depends on the trip.  Generally, we accept up to 24 students. Acceptance is on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend getting your application in as early as possible.

I’m graduating in May, can I still go on the trip?

Yes! Recent graduates are encouraged to participate in trips. If you’re a recent graduate you sign up to audit the class(es). You will be subject to the same tuition and fees but will not receive a grade for the course.

Is financial aid available?

To see what financial aid you might be eligible for, you must complete the part-time aid form with the Student Financial Aid office. SFS will review your application and provide you with available options and recommendations. Funding may include Pell Grants, Federal Loans, and State Grants.  If you will be receiving a refund check from a given semester, you can ask SFS to put these funds towards the cost of the trip.  If you have any questions about financial aid, contact Beck Gusler at rgusler@uarts.edu

*Please note: using financial aid for a summer program may impact your lifetime aid limits. SFS will review this with you.

Can I use my surplus financial aid to create a Travel Savings Account to save up for short travel courses or study away?

Yes, you can set up a Travel Savings Account to save for a future short travel course or study away program. You can access the Travel Savings Account request form through Student Self Service.  This form allows students to request that SFS hold all or a portion of any refund due on the student account for future travel expenses.

*Note: If a credit is due to the parent borrower of the Federal Parent PLUS loan, the parent must submit a request to SFS (using the email listed on the PLUS loan application) indicating that all or portion of the refund be retained for future travel expenses.

I would like to see performances and visit museums that are not included in our itinerary. Can I use financial aid for these experiences?

Yes.  Additional costs like tickets to shows and museum admittance are considered educational expenses while you’re abroad, so you may use student loan funds for those expenses.

Are there scholarship opportunities?

Yes. Each study away program or short travel course has different scholarship opportunities. To learn about scholarship opportunities, we encourage you to attend the program's info session.  University departments and/or our travel agent, World Strides, provide various scholarship opportunities. 

I have prescriptions, what do I need to do?

UArts Health Services recommends that you bring a letter from your physician listing your prescriptions, a copy of your prescriptions, and a list of medications and allergies on your trip. All medications should be kept in their original packaging.