This FAQ addresses frequently asked questions about coronavirus (COVID-19) as it relates to University of the Arts. For general information and health guidance, visit Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or the World Health Organization.

In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. and help provide as safe and healthy an environment on campus as possible, the University extended spring break for students until March 22 and will begin remote-only education Monday, March 23 for the rest of the spring semester. UArts staff and faculty will work remotely Tuesday, March 17, until further notice.   

Is campus operating?

Academic buildings are closed until further notice. Only essential staff as designated by a Vice President may enter buildings.

Residence halls are closed for the remainder of the semester, available only to those residents from level 2 and 3 countries as determined by the CDC and those who truly have no alternative housing. 

All University public programs and events were canceled as of March 13, 2020 and galleries are closed for the remainder of the semester. This includes Commencement. Following Pennsylvania’s mandate to close all nonessential businesses, all University business will be conducted remotely. 

I’m a student who lives on campus. When can I return?

When it is safe and feasible to do so, move out dates will be shared with residential students. Safety is our priority, and we will not permit students to return to campus until it is safe to do so. 

I lost my work-study position due to the suspension of the program. Is there any financial help available to me?

Students facing hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic that may cause them to be unable to continue their work-study position should consider applying for the UArts Cares fund, which provides support for those facing hardships.

I have questions about my federal student loans. 

The website Federal Student Aid has provided an FAQ about student loans:

I have questions about my private student loans.

Unlike federal student loans, which have an automatic delay in payments and accrued interest under the COVID-19 Relief Fund, this is not the case with most alternative loan private lenders. If you currently have a private student loan and need relief from hardships in areas such as payments, payment term, late fees or service rebates, you must contact your lender to request relief. Contact information for some lenders is included below. 

Citizens Bank: 866-259-3767

College Ave: 844-422-7502

Discover: 1-800-STUDENT

PA Forward: 844-723-6793

PNC Bank: 800-762-1001

Sallie Mae: 866-972-5004

SoFi : 855-456-7634

SunTrust: 866-232-3889

Thrivent Federal Credit Union: 800-999-6227

Union Federal: 866-513-8445

Wells Fargo: 877-424-2018

What countries currently have travel advisories?
These countries are considered Level 3 advisory countries under CDC guidelines.

  • China
  • Iran
  • Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City
  • South Korea
  • United Kingdom and Ireland: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland

Returning from level 3 countries requires special precautions. Read CDC’s full travel guidelines and precautionary measures.

What should I do if I have recently traveled to a level 3 advisory country?
Students: If you have recently traveled to any current level 3 advisory country under CDC guidelines, contact the Student Health Center at 215-717-6652 and your primary care physician.

Faculty and Staff: If you have recently traveled to any current level 3 advisory countries under CDC guidelines, practice self-quarantine and remain isolated for 14 days. Additionally, contact your primary care physician or an urgent care facility. 

What should I do if I feel sick?
Per the recommendations of the CDC and the Pennsylvania Department of Health, students who are feeling unwell are advised to utilize telemedicine options to consult with a physician.

If you get sick with fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), cough, or have trouble breathing, the CDC recommends you

  • seek medical care: Call ahead before you go to a doctor’s office, urgent care center or emergency room.
  • tell your doctor about your recent travel and your symptoms.
  • avoid contact with others.
Does the school-sponsored student insurance plan offer telemedicine?
Yes. Through Aetna, students have access to a consulting physician. You can register for this service onlineAetna has currently waived all telemedicine co-payments.
Are there any additional health-related resources I should know about? 
Academic Health Plan (AHP), the school insurance brokerage company, has created the AHP Care Hotline through our student assistance program to support students through this stressful time. Through its line, students will be able to reach licensed behavioral health professionals for unlimited assessment, counseling and individual crisis intervention. This hotline is free to call, and is open to all students, not only those covered under the school insurance plan.

To get help through this program, call 855-850-4301.

Read our FAQ for residential students.