Philadelphia National Portfolio Day
Sunday, October 27, 2019 | 12:00–4:00 PM
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Exhibit Hall A
Hosted by University of the Arts
What is the National Portfolio Day Association?
The National Portfolio Day Association (NPDA) was created in 1978 solely for the organization and planning of National Portfolio Days. The Association consists of representatives that hold regional accreditation and accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), or Substantial Equivalency status. NPDA is the only organization of its kind and the membership represents the highest standard of visual arts education available in the world.
What are National Portfolio Days?
National Portfolio Days are annual events held in multiple locations across the United States, Canada and Europe. They are designed to provide a unique opportunity for you to meet individually with professional representatives of accredited colleges and universities and receive valuable feedback and guidance on your portfolio before you submit it as part of your application. Not all members attend all events. Visit nationalportfolioday.org for attendees.
No admission decisions or scholarship awards will be offered to you at National Portfolio Days. Some college and university representatives may accept your portfolio as the visual portion of your application. Others have restrictions that prohibit them from making a definitive portfolio decision at the time of your review. All representatives will be happy to discuss their specific programs of study and provide answers to questions about the availability of scholarships and financial aid.
You will not find National Portfolio Days to be an examination or competition, the events are about an exchange of information. The representatives want to learn about you, your work, and your post-secondary plans, all while informing you about their college or university and application requirements. These events may be the first time you have been in an environment with so many people in one place who all share a powerful commitment to art and design. Use this as an opportunity to be inspired, to gain advice as to how to improve or present your portfolio, and to experience a small taste of what it is like to attend a professional art and design program.
What should I bring to a National Portfolio Day?
A portfolio of visual artwork that includes your best and most recent work, but it can also include works in progress, sketchbooks, and tear sheets. Don’t hesitate to explain how you develop your ideas and where you want to go with them. Often, sharing the process of arriving at the completed work is as valuable as simply presenting finished products. You will hear many different opinions about your work that will be reflective of the admission requirements of each school. Therefore, we urge you to discuss your work with as many colleges/universities as possible and to bring no more than 15 works. Your portfolio can be presented as original work or on screen, but make note wifi may not be available at all locations. Students who are not prepared to show a portfolio may attend to gather information from college/university representatives.
What schools are participating?
- Alfred University, School of Art and Design
- Arcadia University
- CalArts (California Institute of the Arts)
- California College of the Arts
- Center for Art and Design The College of Saint Rose
- Cleveland Institute of Art
- College for Creative Studies
- Columbus College of Art and Design
- Delaware College of Art and Design
- Drexel University, Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
- George Mason University School of Art
- Hartford Art School, University of Hartford
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
- Laguna College of Art + Design
- Lesley University College of Art and Design
- Maine College of Art
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- Montserrat College of Art
- Moore College of Art and Design
- New York School of Interior Design
- NJIT School of Art + Design
- OCAD University
- Otis College of Art and Design
- Pacific Northwest College of Art
- Penn State School of Visual Arts
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Pennsylvania College of Art and Design
- Pratt Institute
- PrattMWP College of Art and Design
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Ringling College of Art and Design
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Rowan University
- Rutgers University, Department of Art and Design
- San Francisco Art Institute
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University
- School of Visual Arts
- St. John's University
- Suffolk University- Art and Design
- Syracuse University, College of Visual and Performing Arts
- The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
- The New School Parsons School of Design
- The University of Michigan Stamps School of Art and Design
- The University of New Haven
- Tyler School of Art
- UMass Dartmouth CVPA
- University of the Arts
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Watkins College of Art, Design and Film
- West Chester University
All National Portfolio Day events are free and open to the public.
For more information about National Portfolio Day, visit nationalportfolioday.org.