Undergraduate Financial Aid

Because the cost of college shouldn't stop you from pursuing your dream.

Navigating the cost of college can be a challenging task; most prospective students and families rely on a variety of resources to help meet these costs. At UArts, we are pleased to offer a variety of grant, loan, and student employment options to assist you in realizing your enrollment goals.  

Learn more about cost.

Who Should Apply

Nearly 98 percent of the university’s undergraduate students enrolled on a full-time basis are eligible for some type of need-based aid. Additionally, some scholarship opportunities take need-based criteria into account. All students who are US Citizens or eligible non-citizens and are enrolled in a degree program are encouraged to apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Application Process


The only application form we require for students to be evaluated for need-based aid, is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To apply for federal, state, and institutional need-based financial aid, please complete the following process:

  1. Submit the FAFSA.

  2. Include the Federal School Code for UArts on the form - 003350.

  3. Parents/Guardians and Students must utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA.

  4. For spring entry, we recommend you file the FAFSA by November 1.

  5. For fall entry, you can file the FAFSA anytime after October 1.

  6. For fall entry, we recommend you file the FAFSA by February 15.


The FAFSA will be processed by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid.  Based on the data you provide, the U.S. Department of Education will determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for you.  This information will then be shared with each school you listed on the FAFSA.

The Office of Student Financial Services at UArts will use this information to determine how much federal student aid and institutional need-based aid you may receive at UArts.  The results of the FAFSA are also shared with your state's higher education agency to determine what aid you may be eligible to receive from them.   

Your EFC will be deducted from the total Cost of Attendance at UArts to determine your financial need. 


Admissions decision letters for fall entry will begin being issued as early as November 1. Admissions decision letters will include notification of any merit-based scholarship you may have been awarded during the review of your application materials.  

Financial aid packages for fall will begin being issued in January as follows. 

  • If you have submitted the FAFSA and receive an offer of admission prior to January 1, you will be issued a need-based financial aid package in early January. 

  • If you have submitted the FAFSA and receive an offer of admission after January 1, you will be issued a need-based financial aid package approximately two weeks after the issue of your decision letter.

  • If you have not submitted the FAFSA and receive an offer of admission, you will be issued a need-based financial aid package within two weeks of filing the FAFSA.

Financial aid packages will list any federal, state and UArts need-based awards (grants, loans, and work study) for which you are eligible and also include any merit-based scholarship you may have previously been awarded. 


Approximately 30% of students who complete a FAFSA are randomly selected to complete a process called verification. In this process, additional forms and documents are required in order to verify the information supplied on the FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, you will be notified via your award package and additional forms will be mailed to you. The student can view what items are needed on the Financial Aid page of Student Self Service under Required Documents.

Confirming Your Award

You can view tasks that must be completed to confirm your financial aid and to reject any unwanted aid, including loans, through Student Self Service. Once on the page, click on "Financial Aid" which will take you to a page where you can view your checklist and review and adjust your awards.

Billing & Gap Funding

  • Fall Semester: Bills will be issued in late May. Full payment must be received or an approved financing plan put in place by July 5.

  • Spring Semester: Bills will be issued in late October. Full payment must be received or an approved financing plan put in place by Dec. 5.

The balance due on your semester bill is the difference between your total semester charges and your total financial aid awarded for that semester.  The majority of our students fund that gap through one or more of the following options: Payment Plans, Federal Direct Parent Plus Loans, and Private Loans.  

Payment plans allow you to split your cost for the semester into four or five monthly payments. Interest-free payment plans are available through Nelnet Campus Commerce with an enrollment fee of $50. Fall payment plans begin in June or July and Spring payment plans begin in November and December.

To enroll in a payment plan through Nelnet Campus Commerce, log in to Student Self Service.

Veterans Benefits

UArts welcomes military veterans who wish to use benefits such as Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Chapter 31, Chapter 35 Dependents’ Education Assistance, the Yellow Ribbon Program and the Montgomery GI Bill ®. All eligible military veterans who receive financial support are able to use these benefits to help pay for tuition.

To determine eligibility for funding through Veterans Affairs you must request your Certificate of Eligibility at va.gov. If eligible for funding, you must complete a Request for Benefits every semester in order to receive your benefits. Your benefit amount will vary based on your eligible chapter and percent of maximum award. Please note that students using VA Educational Benefits may have tuition and fees that exceed the maximum benefit and will be responsible for paying any remaining balance due. We strongly recommend that all students complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility for federal, state and institutional funding. If eligible for additional funding through the FAFSA, you may receive or be eligible to apply for grant, scholarship or educational loan funds to help finance your cost of education.

The Veterans Affairs (VA) certifying official for UArts is Lakeisha Sanders. Please contact Lakeisha Sanders, certifying official for Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits at UArts, with any certification questions you may have. Learn more about the process of receiving VA benefits at UArts.

Apply online for VA Benefits.


Types of Aid

Financial aid comes in the forms grants, loans or student employment, and can be funded through federal, state, institutional or private organizations.

  • Grants are considered gift aid and need not be repaid. 

  • Educational loans must be repaid and are usually offered at a low interest rate with an extended repayment period. 

  • Student employment or work-study is a work-to-earn program that is paid biweekly at an hourly rate. 

  • Scholarships are merit-based awards that are granted as part of the admission review process.

Net Price Calculator

Net Price is the amount that a student pays to attend an institution in a single academic year AFTER subtracting scholarships and grants the student receives. Scholarships and grants are forms of financial aid that a student does not have to pay back.

Net Price Calculators allow you to enter information about yourself to find out what students with similar financial profiles paid to attend UArts in the previous year, after taking grants and scholarship aid into account.

Our Net Price Calculator will provide a preliminary estimate of federal, state and institutional aid eligibility, to help you gauge what aid may be awarded and to begin making plans to address the cost of attendance. It is important to understand that this calculator offers a general estimate and should be used for informational purposes only. 

Please note that Merit scholarships are awarded based on talent and academic merit and are not accurately reflected in this calculator.

Net Price Calculator



Expand all Collapse all
How do I apply?

UArts only requires that students complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be evaluated for need-based aid. All U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens are encouraged to apply online.

Can I attend part time and receive aid?

University aid, including merit-based scholarships, is typically not awarded to part-time students. There might be federal or state programs for which you may be eligible for as a part-time student. Contact our office before making the decision to attend part time, so we can review how this will impact your financial aid and billed expenses.

Does my financial aid apply to studying abroad?

Yes, financial aid and merit-based scholarships can be applied to approved study-abroad programs. Since there are additional costs such as travel insurance, housing and airfare, we encourage all students to meet with a counselor in Student Financial Services before applying to study abroad.

Can I use financial aid to pay for off-campus housing?

Yes, you can use financial aid, including loans, to help assist with the costs of living off campus. If you are relying on a refund from an overpayment, keep in mind that fall refund checks are generally not available until late September and spring checks until mid-February. Be sure you plan ahead to pay your rent for these months.

Do you accept veteran benefits?

Financial support from Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Chapter 35 Dependents’ Education Assistance and Montgomery GI Bills can be used to help pay for your tuition if you are eligible to receive them. Apply online for VA Benefits. For any certification questions, contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@uarts.eduLearn more about the process of receiving VA benefits at UArts.

How do I get refunded for an overpayment?

Refunds are automatically issued in the two weeks after the add/drop period has ended. The refunds are issued as checks and are able to be picked up by students if they are made out to them directly. Otherwise, they are mailed to Parent PLUS loan borrowers.

Can I become an independent student?

Students cannot become independent unless there are extraordinary circumstances, or they meet the Department of Education's criteria for independent students. Filing taxes and claiming yourself as a dependent typically does not make you independent for the FAFSA. You can view common questions about FAFSA dependency status on the federal student aid website.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

Starting in January, approximately two to three weeks after receipt of an admissions decision letter and a scholarship offer, a need-based financial aid package will be issued to you if you have already submitted the FAFSA.

Incoming students: Award letters are sent beginning Jan. 15. If you submit your FAFSA after this date, expect your award package within three weeks of filing your FAFSA.

Returning students: Award letters are sent beginning in April, based on successful completion of attempted credits for the spring semester. If you submit your FAFSA after this date, expect your award package within three weeks of filing your FAFSA.

What if my financial aid is not enough?

If you are having a hard time figuring out how to cover the costs of your tuition, contact our office, so we can review all available options for your specific circumstances.

Can I still do work-study in the fall?

If you have been awarded a work-study and have a job, you may complete the work-study.

Have additional questions?

While our site has many answers to common questions, sometimes figuring out financial aid and payment options requires creativity. Student Financial Services is available to help you every step of the way.

Don't hesitate to contact us!

800-616-ARTS ext 6170 or 215-717-6170

“GI Bill ®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill