A view down the Avenue of the Arts, a section of Broad Street in Center City Philadelphia, that highlights the iconic City Hall building situated by several tall buildings on either side.

Graduate Student Resources

UArts graduate students are artists, educators, performers, philosophers, doers and makers on a journey to explore the depths of creativity through the arts.

Our graduate students are diverse—in what they study, where they live and what their educational, personal and professional goals are. They are united through drive, creativity, resourcefulness and work ethic. 

UArts offers a dynamic and supportive environment to help you pursue your goals and aspirations across a broad range of artistic and educational fields. Supportive faculty, unique facilities and incredible peers will give you the depth and breadth to effect change and chart your own professional path.

Graduate Programs

From education to art and dance, and from museum programs to product design and devised performance, UArts’ graduate programs will help you make your mark, create culture and advance your creativity.

Explore UArts’ graduate programs. 

Financial Aid & Scholarships

UArts is committed to helping you pay for your graduate education. Though we do not offer need-based financial aid, we do offer merit-based scholarships and assist you in borrowing funds. Our Student Financial Services office is available to help you. 

Phone: 800-616-ARTS x6170 or 215-717-6170 
Email: finaid@uarts.edu

Graduate Financial Aid FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
How do I apply for merit-based aid? How much are the awards?

University of the Arts offers merit-based scholarships that are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and demonstrated talent. The Trustee’s, Dean’s and Director’s Scholarships are highly selective awards and range in amount, up to approximately 50% of tuition. No additional application is necessary. Awards are available for all degree programs except for the

  • MM in Music Education; 

  • MEd in Educational Technology, and 

  • MEd in Educational Program Design. 

What if I need to borrow additional funds to pay my tuition? Can UArts help with that?
Furness Hall: The southern-facing side of a brick building with pointed angles, windows and decorative architectural elements shines brightly in the sun against a blue sky. A fluffy cloud and taller buildings are visible behind the building.


Graduate Student Housing FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Can I live on campus?

All full-time UArts students can apply to live on campus. You can find an application for on-campus housing in the student portal. Because on-campus housing is limited, we encourage anyone seeking housing to apply as early as possible. New students should complete the housing application immediately following acceptance.

For returning students, housing applications open March 1 and are due March 31. Housing applications and deposits are accepted after the deadline if there is space available. If residences are full, students will be added to the waitlist.

Do many graduate students live on campus?

Most of our graduate students elect to live off campus. If you are interested in living on campus, we encourage you to apply for housing as early as possible. We will do our best to place you in a room with another graduate student.

Do you offer family housing for UArts students?

On-campus family housing is not available at this time.

What is the cost to live on campus?
Are there employment opportunities that would allow me to live on campus?

The Office of Campus Life hires three graduate assistants to work in their office and support either residential students or assist in planning and implementing student activities. As part of the role, they serve in an on-call crisis response capacity and as such are required to live on campus. They are compensated with an on campus apartment, meal plan, and stipend for their work. These positions are advertised via email in January each year and applications are due to campuslife@uarts.edu in March.  

How do I find an apartment off campus? Can you help me find a roommate?

When you register through our off-campus housing page, you will have access to tools that will help you find housing, meet potential roommates and avoid potential scams.

What are some popular neighborhoods that students like to live in?

Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods, each with its own character and charm. The closest neighborhoods to our campus are Center City East, Center City West, Washington Square, Chinatown, Old City, Fitler Square and Bella Vista.

What can I expect to pay per month for rent?

The average cost of rent in Philadelphia is approximately $1,800 per month.

Student Affairs

close-up of brushes in a container standing upright in a studio nook, with pinned images on the wall

UArts Cares
Any student who is experiencing difficulty affording groceries, transportation to campus, supplies for their classes, or living in a safe and stable environment – and believes this may affect their performance in this course – is urged to contact Student Affairs by emailing studentaffairs@uarts.edu. Student Affairs will provide students with available resources through UArts Cares. Learn more about UArts Cares.

Commuter Resources
UArts has a thriving community of commuters who live in the greater Philadelphia area and beyond. We are committed to providing a welcoming environment for all students to succeed in their academic and co-curricular lives. Check out all of our commuter resources here.

Download the UArts App
Download the UArts App to stay connected to happenings on campus. From the app you can view the campus activities calendar, connect with offices, submit a work order, and more!

Campus Safety
Visit our Campus Safety page to learn more about safety resources on campus and in the Philadelphia area. Make sure to sign up for UArts Alerts while you are there!

Some people are gathered around a public sculpture in a park that spells "I (Heart) Phily." A water fountain sits between the sculpture and two large buildings in the background with a view of the iconic City Hall building in Center City Philadelphia. It is a cloudy but bright blue sky.

Traveling to & Getting Around the City

Philadelphia is a major metropolitan city, and it is easy to get here both from within the U.S. and internationally. UArts is located fewer than 100 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Washington, D.C. We have a major international airport located 20 minutes from campus and an Amtrak rail station at 30th Street Station, only 10 minutes from campus. 

Transportation FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Which airport should I plan to fly into?

Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is only a 20-minute drive from our Center City Philadelphia campus. You can also travel to and from the airport using the SEPTA regional rail airport line.

Which other airports can I fly into and out of (domestically and internationally)?

JFK International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA) are both located just over 100 miles away in NYC and accessible to Center City Philadelphia by train, car or bus. Newark International Airport (EWR) is located approximately 80 miles away and is accessible by train, car or bus.

What is the best way to get around Philadelphia?

Philadelphia is ranked among one of the most walkable cities in the country, and many of our students live within walking distance of our Center City campus. Other options for getting around the city include ride share services like Lyft and Uber; taxicabs; Indego bike share; and SEPTA, our public transit system. 

Drivers, beware: Philadelphia is a notoriously challenging city for parking. 

Learn more about getting to and from campus.

Health & Wellness

A person is walking their small dog across the green grass in Rittenhouse Square park. A skyscraper is visible in the background.

Our students’ physical and mental well-being is among our top priorities. Our Health Services office, led by Director Suzanne Scott; the Counseling Center, led by Director Beth Couture; and related services are available free of charge to all of our matriculated students. All student medical services and records are confidential.

Visit Student Health Services.
Visit the Counseling Center. 

Health Services is located in Gershman Hall, Suite 306, 401 S. Broad St. All current students with a valid student ID are able to access the building. Telehealth services are also available.

Phone: 215-717-6652
Email: healthservices@uarts.edu
Fax: 215-717-6237

Staying Healthy FAQ

For questions about Health Services, see its FAQ.

Counseling FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Where is the Counseling Center located, and how can I contact them?

The Counseling Center is located in Gershman Hall, Room 205, 401 S. Broad St. Counseling services are offered both in person and over secure Zoom sessions.
Office hours are Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m., and virtual walk-in hours are Monday–Friday, 11 a.m.–1 p.m.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment, first email counseling@uarts.edu, then visit https://helpstartshere.uarts.edu and click Entering UArts Counseling. This will prompt you to fill out a few simple forms to enter you into the system. Be sure to enter all your information as directed.

Health Insurance FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Am I required to have health insurance?

UArts does not have a mandatory student health insurance requirement or a school-sponsored insurance plan. We will not require students to provide proof of insurance as of the 2024–2025 academic year.

What are my other options for obtaining health insurance coverage?

Students are welcome to enroll in whichever insurance plan they wish. However, we encourage all students who enroll in a personal insurance plan to find out if their insurance is accepted in the Philadelphia area. Refer to your personal insurance company’s website. Most have a Find a Provider or Search for a Provider tool, which will show a list of eligible resources in a given area. The ZIP code for UArts is 19102.

In case you need to obtain health insurance and don’t know where to start, here are some resources that can help you find coverage.

  • Check out healthcare.gov for government-sponsored health insurance.

  • Search “Medicaid [your state]” to find state-by-state insurance.

  • Google “individual health insurance [your state].”

A smiling woman with glasses and a striped shirt is seated in front of an iMac looking over her shoulder. Another student with dark hair and a red shirt is visble at another computer beside her.

Academic Support

Tutoring FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Is tutoring available for graduate students?

Yes! UArts Libraries librarians and staff are ready to help. Librarians can provide individualized research sessions. Find contact information for UArts Libraries librarians and staff. 

Students can find curated subject guides on over 70 different topics, available 24/7 on the Libraries’ website.

UArts Libraries offers extensive coverage of the academic literature targeted for the graduate degree fields offered at UArts.

Learn more about tutoring at UArts.

What kind of support is available for thesis work?

Graduate students working on their theses may work one-on-one with an academic advisor or tutor throughout the semester and academic year.

For additional help with thesis editing or a final proofread, use one of these resources. (They are not affiliated with UArts.)

Accessibility (ADA) FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Does UArts have an Office of Educational Accessibility?

Yes, the Office of Educational Accessibility (OEA) provides support through reasonable accommodations, advocacy, and consultation to foster independence and inclusion in all areas of university life. OEA works to break down barriers that hinder student success and promotes inclusive best practices in the areas of teaching and learning. University of the Arts is committed to providing equal access to individuals with disabilities, in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the ADA of 1990 and the ADA amended.

Learn more about the Office of Educational Accessibility.

How do I register with the Office of Educational Accessibility?

Students who have a diagnosed medical, physical, psychological and/or learning disability, may qualify for reasonable accommodations at UArts. To receive academic or residential accommodations students must register with the Office of Educational Accessibility. Learn more about the registration process.

A person with dark hair tied back in a braid and an oversized black t-shirt holds an illuminated object, presumably paper, that is folded like an accordion book. Their face and arms are highlighted subtly by the yellowish glow from the light. The background is a neutral color creating a dynamic composition.

International Students

International Students FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Do I need health insurance as an international student?

UArts does not have a mandatory student health insurance requirement or a school-sponsored insurance plan. We will not require students to provide proof of insurance as of the 2024–2025 academic year.

What are my health insurance options as an international student?

International students may use the health insurance option of their choice. 

In case you need to obtain health insurance and don’t know where to start, here are some resources that can help you find coverage.

  • Check out healthcare.gov for government-sponsored health insurance.

  • Search “Medicaid [your state]” to find state-by-state insurance.

  • Google “individual health insurance [your state].”

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for students with a F-1 visa?

CPT is part-time employment directly related to students’ individual academic disciplines. Students on a F-1 visa must not work more than 20 hours, or their Optional Practical Training (OPT) will be eliminated. CPT can only be done after two full semesters of study.

Learn more about CPT.

Is UArts a STEM school?

UArts is a Level B STEM school, as our degrees are not science, technology, engineering or math degrees, but some are related. Students can receive a STEM extension with additional documentation. Students cannot apply for an extension until they are employed by a STEM employer with an e-verify number and their employer approves the extension.

What is Optional Practical Training (OPT) for students with a F-1 visa?

OPT (Optional Practical Training) is a 12-month period of employment after graduation that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study.

Learn more about OPT.

When can I apply for Optional Practice Training (OPT)?

Students can apply for OPT 90 days before graduation and 60 days after graduation.

What is the process for applying for OPT?

International Programs provides OPT workshops, in order to walk students through the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. Students apply and pay completely online by following the USCIS online application process.

Learn how to apply.

How long can I be unemployed during the OPT period?

In the 12-month period, you can be unemployed for a total of three months, consecutive or intermittently.

Is there a grace period before and after graduation?

Yes, there is a grace period of two months after graduation and two months after OPT is complete, for a total possible 14 months after graduation in the States.

Who should I contact if I have questions about International Programs, visas or English language placement?

Email Director for International Programs Mara Flamm at mflamm@uarts.edu.

Career Services for Graduate Students

Career Services FAQ

Expand all Collapse all
Can I apply for work study as a graduate student?
How do I schedule an appointment with Career Services?

Go to uarts.edu/careerappointment to schedule a meeting. Meetings with counselors can be held either virtually or in person.

What can Career Services help me with during an appointment?

Our career counselors provide hands-on support to help prepare you for your next step through general career counseling, job search assistance, résumé and cover letter guidance, internship assistance, interview preparation and practice, LinkedIn tutorials, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator interpretation, and any other career-related topics you wish to discuss. They also provide assistance in researching and pursuing fellowships, grants and contests.

Where can I find jobs, internships and other opportunities, and how do I access them?

We maintain a comprehensive listing of opportunities in the UArtsCareers database, including full-time and part-time jobs, internships, freelance projects and gigs, auditions, seasonal jobs, fellowships, apprenticeships, residencies, and more. To gain access, visit uartscareers.com, click the Student/Alumni button, and follow the instructions in the blue box to log in.

How long will I have access to the services and resources?

Career Services is available to current students and alumni forever, for free.

The front of Hamilton Hall is adorned with multi-color flags. A few people are visible walking in front on the sidewalk, and a building is visible in the background to the right.