Philadelphia has deep-seated jazz roots — transformative figures like Billie Holiday, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, and Sun Ra all called it home—making the city the perfect place for you to explore jazz music.
Our two-week immersive Jazz + Contemporary Music program will help you develop the skills you need to become a confident musician. Using jazz as a framework, you’ll work with UArts faculty musicians to uncover a range of creative possibilities through master classes, jam sessions, ensembles, collaborations, with an emphasis on improvisation and performance.
Our college-level curriculum is designed for motivated students who want to push their musicianship to a level beyond the band room. By the end of the program, you’ll not only have new skills and performance chops, you’ll also have an expanded understanding of jazz’s contribution to contemporary music.
• Master classes and guest lecturers
• Introduction to a network of actively touring and recording faculty
• Collaboration with students in the Summer Institute Dance and Music Business programs
• Ensemble concerts, including Friday night small ensembles, and student-organized flash performances and jam sessions
• Trips throughout Philadelphia to experience live music
• A public concert performance for family, friends, and peers, streamed live
• Detailed evaluations from each of your instructors