Professional Licensure and Certification Disclosure

University of the Arts’ Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Music Education program is designed to prepare students for Pennsylvania’s Instructional I Certificate to teach Music PK–12. Requirements for professional licensure in education vary from state to state and UArts has not made a determination whether the Music Education (MAT) program meets requirements in states other than Pennsylvania. Before beginning any academic program that leads to licensure, UArts highly recommends that you contact the appropriate state licensure board where you wish to seek licensure to determine whether the program you are considering will meet that state's licensure requirements.


Teaching Certificate Reciprocity & Transfer

Through interstate reciprocity agreements, you can convert your Pennsylvania Instructional I teaching certificate to an analogous teaching certificate in another state. Reciprocity is not automatic. Contact your specific state's Department of Education to determine what criteria will be required to complete the transfer. Requirements for transfer vary from state to state, but most require

  • transcripts from your completed UArts teacher certification program and
  • proof of your Pennsylvania Instructional I teaching certificate.


State Teacher Certification/Licensure Information

Below, you will find the teacher certification/licensure information for each state.

Mid-Atlantic states:

Other states:

You may also wish to consult the National Association for Music Education website on Music Educator Information or the Education Commission of the States report on teacher license reciprocity. 

*Please note that this information is solely provided as an additional resource and may not represent the most current policies. Please consult directly with your state's Department of Education to learn more about the latest requirements for license transfer.

Completion of a UArts degree program does not guarantee employment in any profession. Prior to enrollment, students are responsible for confirming all education, testing, and licensing requirements in their chosen field.

Criminal Background Information
Some states' laws require a criminal background check and may disqualify an individual from obtaining certification or licensure if the individual has been convicted of certain crimes. If you have a criminal background, please check with the appropriate state certification or licensure board where you wish to work for more information.