Grants are awarded on a case-by-case basis, according to the level of need determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

University Grants

University grants are need-based grants that are awarded by Student Financial Services to supplement all other financial aid assistance. Undergraduate students must be enrolled full- time, have financial need as determined by the FAFSA, and meet satisfactory academic progress to be considered for a university grant.

Federal Grant Programs

The Pell Grant is a federal grant awarded to students with financial need. It is not a loan and does not need to be repaid. Students who already have a Bachelor’s Degree or a professional degree may not be eligible for a Pell Grant. The amount you may receive varies on your need, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance for your program.

Learn more about Pell Grants. 

FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) is federally funded but is administered at the university level. It is awarded to students who demonstrate significant financial need and are seeking a first Bachelor’s Degree and who have not yet completed the maximum number of semesters allowed (eight). Typically, FSEOG grants are awarded first to Pell Grant recipients who have met the filing deadlines on a funds-available basis.

Learn more about FSEOG grants.

Terra Hall decorated with colorful banners that include images of students from all disciplines and the UArts logo

State Grants

State grants are available to students seeking their first Bachelor’s degree who reside in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, Massachusetts, West Virginia, or Vermont. All states require that you file a FAFSA in order to be evaluated for eligibility, and most states require secondary application information. Each state and program has varying eligibility requirements, which are available through their websites.

States with grant programs 

Delaware state grants 

Massachusetts state grants

Ohio state grants

Pennsylvania state grants

West Virginia state grants

Vermont state grants

PA Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver is a FosterEd program that provides tuition and mandatory fee waivers for youth who are, or were, in foster care. To check your eligibility or if you have questions about the program, contact NAME, Student Financial Services, or visit the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency website.

Your award letter might indicate an estimated state grant amount. That amount and your eligibility must be verified by the state and may be subject to change based on enrollment, changes to your eligibility, and academic progress. Confirmation typically happens in July or August, depending on your state.

Need help? Contact us.

800-616-ARTS ext. 6170 or 215-717-6170

Merit-Based Scholarships

Merit-based scholarships are awards that are granted as part of the admission review process.

Learn more


Loans must be repaid and are usually offered with an extended repayment period.

Learn more

Work Study

Work study is a work-to-earn program that is paid biweekly at an hourly rate.

Learn more

Other Ways to Pay for College

Explore external scholarships, 529 plans, tax benefits, and more.

Learn more