Housing Accommodations at the University of the Arts


University of the Arts is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in residential housing for individuals with disabilities. The Office of Educational Accessibility and Office of Residence Life will consult to determine reasonable modifications and accommodations based on a student's documented disability.

To request an accommodation in Housing:

1)  Complete the Pre-Intake Form to request a reasonable accommodation. 

  • UArts will accept and consider requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing at any time during the year.  If the request for accommodation is made after housing assignments have been made (July 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring), UArts cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the student's accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.

  • If the need for the accommodation arises while the semester is underway, students should contact Educational Accessibility and complete the registration process as soon as possible. UArts cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the accommodation needs during the semester or term in which the request is received due to limitations in our single/private bedroom housing inventory.

 2. Meet with Educational Accessibility and Provide Documentation

In order to qualify for accommodations in Housing, students must provide documentation that substantiates the need and shows a direct link between the disability and the requested housing accommodation.  Documentation can be uploaded to the Pre-Intake Form.

Documentation requirements: 

  • The form of a letter or report from a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other medical provider on letterhead who is qualified to make the diagnosis and is currently treating the student for a disability.  Documentation should provide evidence that the provider is currently treating you for the condition for which the accommodation is requested.

  • Include a diagnosis, the functional limitations (impact on residential living) and the the specific housing recommendation.  

  • Include possible alternatives if the requested accommodation is not available.

Note: Accommodations must meet principles of reasonableness.  An accommodation is unreasonable if it: (1) imposes an undue financial and/or administrative burden; (2) fundamentally alters university housing policies; (3) poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others or would cause substantial property damage to the property of others, including University property; and/or (4) is otherwise unreasonable to the operation of the University.

Food (Meal Plan) Accommodations at the University of the Arts

Please Note: A fully documented disability may necessitate the need for an accommodation; should your disability impact your ability to fully participate in the food (meal plan), we can make a determination to lower the food (meal plan) once all options have been exhausted.  

Applications for changes to the meal plan must be supported by a medical diagnosis or substantiation of disability and must be made before the end of the drop/add period of each semester. 

The University of the Arts is able to accommodate most food allergies and sensitivities within the Dining Services facilities. The Dining Services staff at the University of the Arts are specifically trained in handling food allergies and allergen-specific food preparation to avoid cross-contamination through AllerTrain(TM).

Any special preparations of food can be accommodated if they are arranged with the Dining Hall. All recipes for all foods and ingredients are available upon request at Terra Dining Hall.

For questions about accommodations to the meal plan or options available through Dining Services, please contact the Director of Dining Services at diningservices@uarts.edu.

The following common reasons given to justify a meal plan accommodation will NOT be considered:

• I don’t like the food.
• The meal schedule does not fit my personal schedule.
• I am a vegetarian or vegan or gluten free (except students with documented Celiac Disease).
• I cannot afford to be on a meal plan.
• I have more meals than I can use.
• I don’t eat all my meals.

All exceptions due to religious dietary restrictions should be referred to the Office of Student Affairs, Student Center 311, studentaffairs@uarts.edu. The University of the Arts dining facilities are not Kosher or Halal.