New Undergraduate Student Orientation
We've designed New Student Orientation (NSO) to help you make a smooth transition into college life and to the University of the Arts in particular. NSO will be a fun-filled and enlightening time for you and your fellow incoming students. At NSO, you'll learn practical skills for being a successful college student-artist, experience Philadelphia, and get to know your new classmates and faculty.
New Student Orientation will begin with your arrival on campus on Wednesday, August 22, 2018, at Hamilton Hall (320 South Broad Street, at the corner of South Broad and Pine Streets) and conclude on Sunday, August 26, 2018; classes begin on Monday, August 27, 2018.
The UArts NSO experience is particularly smooth for students thanks to the wisdom and enthusiasm of our student staff. The Orientation Leaders (OLs) are a group of our best and brightest upperclassmen who work around the clock to make the NSO experience stress-free, fun and full of useful insider information from the point-of-view of UArts students.
If you have questions regarding New Student Orientation, please call the Office of Campus Life at 215-717-6144. We look forward to your arrival in August!
International Student Orientation will begin on Monday, August 20, 2018.
Featured Highlights of NSO:
Wednesday, August 22
Check-in and Move-in
- This is the very first part of the orientation process! All incoming students check in at Hamilton Hall and receive items that are necessary to begin their journey at UArts. Once students check in, student leaders will be waiting at the student’s assigned dorm to help with move-in.
Residence Hall Meetings and Orientation 101
- Meet the Residence Life staff and learn all you need to know about living on campus and becoming a member of the UArts Residential community. Then, get an overview of the Orientation schedule so you'll know what to expect!
Commuter Session and Orientation 101
- Learn everything you'll need to know about navigating the university as a commuter student and what special resources are available to you. Then, get an overview of the Orientation schedule so you'll know what to expect!
Student Mixer + Dinner
- Meet and mingle with other students while enjoying dinner.
Opening Act (Students only)
- Through vibrant performances from current students, learn more about the UArts experience by attending this session.
Thursday, August 23
Academic Workshops and Advising
- Students will meet with their respected colleges and majors to learn more about their specific curriculum requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with campus and get a tour designed specifically for the school you're a part of lead by an Orientation Leader.
- Looking for a way to glow in the dark? This glow party is filled with lively dancing and bright colors! Students are encouraged to wear white so they can decorate themselves in neon paint.
- An alternative to glow dance party, join other students in painting your own masterpiece to take home and hang on your wall!
Friday, August 24
Student Activities Fair
- This fair is the answer to students' after-class needs! Meet UArts' clubs and organizations as well as Philadelphia community organizations that offer activities and ways for students to get involved at this event.
Library Open House
- Experience all that the library has to offer through activities and contests.
Life at UArts
- Learn about student services, how to get involved on campus, campus traditions and events!
Know the Code
- This session offers tips on how to stay safe in the city and provides insight into campus policies and UArts students’ roles.
- This boardwalk-themed atmosphere is filled with food, inflatables, a photo-booth and several other fun activities!
Saturday, August 25
Sex on a Saturday
- This is a lively and informative discussion about safe sex and relationships at UArts.
- Learn how to navigate Digication, a learning platform you'll use for classes, and get your tech questions answered and download essential applications you'll need for classes.
Open Mic Night and New Student Exhibition
- Students will be able to showcase their talent on stage and on the walls of Hamilton Hall.
Sunday, August 26
Dive Into Philly
- Students spend the afternoon exploring all that Philly has to offer. Some of the activities include:
- Cheesesteak Taste Test/Italian Market Tour
- Magic Gardens
- Philadelphia Art Museum
- African American Museum/Reading Terminal Market
- Philadelphia Mural Tour
- Franklin Institute
- Museum of the American Revolution
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Philadelphia Zoo
- Trolley Tours
Monday, August 27