New Undergraduate Student Orientation
We've designed New Student Orientation (NSO) to help you make a smooth transition into college life and to the University of the Arts in particular. NSO will be a fun-filled and enlightening time for you and your fellow incoming students. At NSO, you'll learn practical skills for being a successful college student-artist, experience Philadelphia, and get to know your new classmates and faculty.
New Student Orientation will begin with your arrival on campus on Wednesday, August 22, 2018, at Hamilton Hall (320 South Broad Street, at the corner of South Broad and Pine Streets) and conclude on Sunday, August 26, 2018; classes begin on Monday, August 27, 2018.
The UArts NSO experience is particularly smooth for students thanks to the wisdom and enthusiasm of our student staff. The Orientation Leaders (OLs) are a group of our best and brightest upperclassmen who work around the clock to make the NSO experience stress-free, fun and full of useful insider information from the point-of-view of UArts students.
If you have questions regarding New Student Orientation, please call the Office of Campus Life at 215-717-6970. We look forward to your arrival in August!
International Student Orientation will begin on Monday, August 20, 2018.
Featured Highlights of NSO:
Wednesday, August 22
Check-in and Move-in
- This is the very first part of the orientation process! All incoming students check in at Hamilton Hall and receive items that are necessary to begin their journey at UArts. Once students check in, student leaders will be waiting at the student’s assigned dorm to help with move-in.
Opening Act (Students only)
- Through vibrant performances from current students, learn more about the UArts experience by attending this session.
Student Mixer + Dinner
- Meet and mingle with other students while enjoying dinner.
Thursday, August 23
Meet your Orientation Leader (OL)
- Orientation Leaders help new students navigate training sessions and the UArts campus. They are a great resource and can help with any UArts questions.
Academic Workshops and Advising
- Students will meet their respected colleges and majors to learn more about their specific curriculum requirements.
- Looking for a way to glow in the dark? This glow party is filled with lively dancing and bright colors! Students are encouraged to wear white so they can decorate themselves in neon paint.
- An alternative to glow dance party, join other students in painting your own masterpiece to take home and hang on your wall!
Friday, August 24
- The campus tour session is a great way to learn more about the UArts campus and for students to familiarize themselves with their schedule. Orientation Leaders will lead guided tours throughout the campus.
Student Activities Fair
- This fair is the answer to student’s after-class needs! Meet the clubs and organizations on campus as well as Philadelphia community service organizations at this event.
Library Open House
- Experience all that the library has to offer through activities and contests.
Know the Code
- This session offers tips on how to stay safe in the city and provides insight into campus policies and UArts students’ roles.
- This carnival atmosphere is filled with food, karaoke, dancing, a fun photo-booth and several other fun activities!
Saturday, August 25
Eat, Connect, and Be Healthy
- Learn different ways to interact with the extended campus community at this session.
Sex on a Saturday
- This is a lively and informative discussion about safe sex and relationships at UArts.
Open Mic Night and New Student Exhibition
- Students will be able to showcase their talent on stage and on the walls of Hamilton Hall.
Sunday, August 26
Dive Into Philly
- Students spend the afternoon exploring all that Philly has to offer. Some of the activities include:
- Cheesesteak/Italian Market Tour
- Magic Gardens
- Philadelphia Art Museum
- Philadelphia Mural Tour
- SafeZone Training & Big Gay Ice Cream
- Scavenger Hunt
- Trolley Tours
Monday, August 27