Terra Hall email@example.com
“Maricle staked her claim as one of the great big band drummers.” – Scott Yanow, Jazz Around Town
Sherrie Maricle has been teaching in UArts’ Jazz and Drum Set department for two years. She is music director and drummer for the DIVA Jazz Orchestra and numerous small groups. Maricle is also a recipient of the Mary Lou Williams Lifetime Achievement Award in Jazz from the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts.
From the drum set, Sherrie Maricle leads the DIVA Jazz Orchestra, her quintet FIVE PLAY and co-leads the 3D Jazz Trio. From Carnegie Hall, she performs with the New York Pops and she is music director for Broadway star Maurice Hines.
Maricle has performed at many of the world’s most acclaimed music venues, from Lincoln Center to the Hollywood Bowl, and at jazz festivals around the globe. The DIVA Jazz Orchestra was featured on TCM’s broadcast of the 25th anniversary of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and is featured prominently in the award-winning documentary film The Girls in the Band.
The DIVA Jazz Orchestra’s most recent recording is DIVA & the Boys (2019, MCG). FIVE PLAY released Live from the Firehouse Stage in 2019, and in 2020, the 3D Jazz Trio released I Love to See You Smile and Christmas in 3D.
Maricle holds a PhD in Jazz Performance from New York University.
With her bands, Maricle has performed at many of the world’s most acclaimed music venues and festivals, from Lincoln Center to the Kennedy Center and the Hollywood Bowl, to jazz festivals in Croatia, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Portugal, Switzerland, Vietnam and beyond.
Additionally, the DIVA Jazz Orchestra was featured
- at the 2017 NEA Jazz Masters Awards Ceremony,
- on the soundtrack for the NBC-Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular;
- on CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood,
- on TCM’s televised broadcast of the 25th anniversary of the Kennedy Center and
- NHK Japan’s New York Jazz.
The DIVA Jazz Orchestra also co-stars in the award-winning documentary film The Girls in the Band.
“I’m Gonna Go Fishin’” by the DIVA Jazz Orchestra 2020
“I Thought About You” by 3D Jazz Trio
“Jazz with Pepper” by the DIVA Jazz Orchestra
Awards & Accolades
Maricle has received an impressive amount of awards and honors, including
- a 2016 Audelco Award for Best Musical for Tappin’ Thru Life,
- a 2014 Ovation award for Best Music Direction in Tappin Thru Life,
- the 2009 Mary Lou Williams-Kennedy Center Lifetime Achievement Award,
- a 2013 State Department grant for FIVE PLAY to tour Vietnam,
- a tour grant from Arts International,
- the Kennedy Center Alliance Award for Outstanding Achievements in the Arts,
- a grant from Meet the Composer,
- a doctoral fellowship from New York University,
- the New York City Music Educators Award for Outstanding Contributions to Education and
- two New York University’s “Music Teacher of the Year” honors.