Creative Technology Specialist
JOB TITLE: Creative Technology Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Center for Immersive Media
REPORTS TO: Director of the Center for Immersive Media
Summary: The Center for Immersive Media at the University of the Arts seeks a technologist and artist working in any of the areas of virtual and augmented reality, real time computer graphics and games, visualization/simulation, media design for performance, and interaction design.
This full time staff position will be a principal contributor to production of creative research projects and applications developed at the Center and in collaborations with faculty, students, and external partners. The Creative Technology Specialist will help maintain Center operations as well as provide guidance to users of the lab and studio facilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produces work contributing to creative projects developed at the Center, including guidance and oversight of student teams and with collaborators.
• Assists in the configuration and operation of Center facilities, including a 16 seat computing classroom, project studios designed for VR and installations, and a 40’x40’ optical motion capture stage with multiple video projection, audio, and theatrical lighting systems.
• Provides technical assistance with AV equipment and computing on a regular basis for students, faculty, and visiting artists.
• Produces documentation on tools, methods, training, and projects for future reference.
• Develops and conducts workshops introducing concepts and technologies, including potential for teaching courses.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent; they do not purport to describe all functions. Incumbent may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may change from time to time as necessary.
• A terminal degree in digital media
• At least 3 years of professional experience with a portfolio of work demonstrating accomplishment in visual effects, computer simulation, game design, or related field.
• Experience with Unity game engine and Autodesk Maya.
• Experience with real-time interaction and performance-related software such as Isadora, Processing, P5, Max/MSP/Jitter, or others.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Strong collaboration and rapport-building skills.
• Ability to direct, monitor, and evaluate.
• Project management skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work effectively in a diverse community.
• A demonstrable comprehension of the current technologies for performance capture, user input, and virtual reality systems.
• Ability for problem-solving hardware and software configurations.
About The University:
University of the Arts mission is simple: to advance human creativity. A leader in developing visual and performing artists and designers, University of the Arts has educated generations of innovative artists, performers, designers and creative leaders since 1876. UArts believes creativity is the most essential skill for success in today’s society. After being granted university status in 1987, University of the Arts became the largest institution of its kind in the nation, offering programs in design, fine arts, media arts, crafts, music, dance, theater and writing. It now features 30 undergraduate arts majors, 30 minors, 15 graduate programs, and the nation’s first PhD program in Creativity. UArts is home to innovative centers across disciplines, including the Philadelphia Art Alliance, Rosenwald-Wolf Gallery, and the new Center for Immersive Media launching in November 2019. Our nearly 1,900 students study and create on our campus in the heart of Philadelphia’s Avenue of the Arts, the city’s cultural center, within walking distance of hundreds of galleries, museums, theaters and other performing arts venues. Learn more about UArts.
TO APPLY: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department via email to email@example.com. Additionally, statements and/or project documentation may be included if they provide essential support to your candidacy. The preferred submission format for all materials is a single email attachment (single PDF or zipped folder) 2MB–5MB in size. Please ensure job title is in the Subject line.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, The University of the Arts publishes its Annual Safety Report at the following link for your reference:
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER