JOB TITLE: Systems Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure Services
REPORTS TO: Director for Infrastructure Services
SUMMARY: The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values of enabling faculty, staff, and students.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues: to include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development to production by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux and Windows systems that support enterprise infrastructure; expertise in VMWare, VSAN and virtual server environments is a mandatory requirement; Open Source experience and SQL experience required. Experience in management of data storage systems (Dell Equallogic) is required. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
SA Engineering and Provisioning
• Engineers solutions for various project and operational needs.
• Installs new/rebuild existing systems and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
• Installs and configures systems to support enterprise applications and resources.
• Develops and maintains installation and configuration procedures.
• Contributes to and maintains system standards and security measures.
• Researches and recommends innovative, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identifies approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
• Plans, tests, and implements operating system upgrades as required in order to keep pace with software vendor product lifecycles.
Operations and Support
• Performs daily system monitoring, verifies the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviews system and application logs, and verifyies completion of scheduled system backups.
• Performs regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
• Performs daily backup operations, ensures all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate resources.
• Creates, changes, and deletes user accounts and permissions as required.
• Provides Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigates and troubleshoots issues.
• Repairs and recovers from hardware or software failures. Coordinates and communicates with impacted constituencies.
• Participates in rotating 7X24 on call schedule.
• Applies OS patches and firmware upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrades administrative tools and utilities. Configures/ adds new services as necessary.
• Upgrades and configures system software that supports applications per project or operational needs.
• Maintains documentation of operations, configuration, and other procedures.
• Performs periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
• Performs ongoing system tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
• Maintains data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent; they do not purport to describe all functions. Incumbent may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may change from time to time as necessary.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
• Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Linux, VMware, and Microsoft.
• Minimum of five years VMware and system administration experience.
• Knowledge of networking concepts, DNS, SSL certificates, IP addressing and subnets.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
The University of the Arts—a leader in developing visual and performing artists and designers since 1876—is the only university in the United States that allows its students to collaborate across traditional lines. With more than 30 majors, 30 minors and 13 graduate programs in visual arts, performing arts, design and liberal studies, UArts develops alumni who are not only leaders in their disciplines, but also creative thinkers able to succeed in any path they choose. Our nearly 1,900 students study and create on our campus in the heart of Philadelphia’s Avenue of the Arts, the city’s cultural center, within walking distance of hundreds of galleries, museums, theaters and other performing arts venues.
TO APPLY: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure job title is in the Subject line.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, The University of the Arts publishes its Annual Safety Report at the following link for your reference:
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER