JOB TITLE: Design Director
DEPARTMENT: Enrollment Marketing
REPORTS TO: AVP for Enrollment Marketing
The University of the Arts seeks a creative and innovative professional to join its team as Design Director within the Enrollment Marketing department. This newly created position offers a unique opportunity to partner with offices and individuals across our campus to lead and execute design solutions in support of the University’s standing as the place of choice among visual and performing arts colleges and universities.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, and welcome the opportunity to lead the execution and production of all designed solutions – both print and digital – for the university. A creative thinker who enjoys working collaboratively, the Design Director will be a master of managing and aptly prioritizing the work of multiple projects simultaneously. The Design Director will also inspire and teach others across the university on best practices as relates to the brand standards and style guide for the university.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Oversees the creation and production of campaigns and designs solutions for all official university communications, from print publications to digital advertising assets
● Inspires the enrollment marketing team in all areas of production including visual, copy and experience design
● Collaborates with both internal stakeholders within the Enrollment Marketing department as well as across the university to deliver design solutions
● Plans and manages the production and execution of all design projects, hiring and overseeing freelance talent and interns as necessary
● Prioritizes multiple projects and on-going timelines, ensuring on-time delivery of key projects
● Works with the AVP for Enrollment Marketing and other leaders to develop long-term strategies that build market presence and brand identity of the University.
● Plays a lead role in unifying and managing our brand across all media channels and platforms, so that UArts is conveyed in a consistent and creative manner.
● Oversees the consistent implementation of the University’s brand identity standard and style guide.
● Ensures the efficient and cost-effective production of all designed publications, promotional pieces and marketing pieces.
● Provides ongoing analysis and assessment of strategies and outcomes.
● Assists in the eventual development and management of an in-house design studio staffed by University students.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent; they do not purport to describe all functions. Incumbent may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may change from time to time as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● Undergraduate Degree in design or related field
● 5 years of relevant experience at the Designer level, preferably in a creative agency setting.
● Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team of freelance designers and/or interns.
● Knowledge of design solutions most relevant to reaching a primary audience of 15-, 16-, and 17-year old prospective students.
● Strong collaboration and relationship-building skills.
● Ability to develop effective internal and external partnerships.
● Has knowledge of visual, interactive and motion design trends, and is fluent in simple executions that make big statements
● Proficiency in Mac OSX, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Office and Acrobat
● Proficiency in HTML, CSS and preparing assets for use across various content management systems; additional coding knowledge a plus
● Ability to manage organizational budget.
● Strong and compelling oral and written communication skills.
● Superior project management skills and attention to detail.
● Evidence of ability to work at both the strategic and tactical levels.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
The University of the Arts—a leader in developing visual and performing artists and designers since 1876—is the only university in the United States that allows its students to collaborate across traditional lines. With more than 30 majors, 30 minors and 13 graduate programs in visual arts, performing arts, design and liberal studies, UArts develops alumni who are not only leaders in their disciplines, but also creative thinkers able to succeed in any path they choose. Our nearly 1,900 students study and create on our campus in the heart of Philadelphia’s Avenue of the Arts, the city’s cultural center, within walking distance of hundreds of galleries, museums, theaters and other performing arts venues.
TO APPLY: Interested qualified applicants should submit a letter of application/cover letter and a resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure job title is in the Subject line.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, The University of the Arts publishes its Annual Safety Report at the following link for your reference: http://www.uarts.edu/about/campus-crime-fire-reports
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER