Professional Studies FAQ

Q: What is Professional Studies / Professional Institute for Educators / Summer Music Studies?

Professional Studies houses the Professional Institute for Educators + MEd programs and the Summer Music Studies + MM in Music Education programs.  

The Professional Institute for Educators empowers educators across disciplines to continually advance their teaching skills to improve learning for all students. Through graduate courses, certificates, and degree programs, PIE develops innovative and creative educational programming to serve the professional development needs of K-12 teachers in and through the arts.

Professional Institute for Educators Student Learning Outcomes

  • Educators will enhance skills to design and develop high-quality curriculum and instruction.
  • Educators will explore diverse ways to assess student learning.
  • Educators will gain skills, tools, and techniques to enrich creative education through the arts.
  • Educators will strengthen their role in the lives of students through the exploration of the arts and humanities to integrate cultural resources into the classroom.

With a legacy of serving over 300 music educators from across the country each summer for over twenty years, the Summer Music Studies Program offers graduate-level coursework for students interested in expanding upon their pedagogical, technological, musical, and instructional skills in all genre of music classrooms. Renowned faculty from the University of the Arts, as well as content experts from across the country, provide week-long graduate-level instruction that is all about making and creating meaningful music. The University of the Arts provides the capacity to offer courses on multiple campuses, utilizing the latest resources and faculty, while offering reasonably priced housing options for out of town students.

The Master of Music in Music Education degree can be completed in as few as three or four summers but must be completed within seven years of matriculation. All coursework is offered in conjunction with the Summer Music Studies Program. 

←Back to top

Q: What is the difference between matriculated and non-matriculated options? 
Matriculated students earn an official credential (either a Master's degree or a Graduate Certificate) from UArts upon completion of the course of study.  The following matriculated programs are offered through the School of Professional Studies: Master of Education in Educational Program Design (MEd), Master of Education in Educational Technology (MEd), Master of Music in Music Education (MM); Graduate Certificates in Arts and Educational Technology.  These programs require an application for admission.  

Non-matriculated refers to students who are taking courses for professional development and not as part of a course of study leading to a graduate degree or certificate.  These courses are still graduate credit-bearing.  Non-matriculated students may enroll in some of the same course options available to matriculated students.  Corresponding non-matriculated course sections are designated with an “NM” following the course code.  

←Back to top

Q: How do I register for Professional Institute for Educators & Summer Music Studies classes? Is there a deadline?

Registration for non-matriculated students is accepted until a course reaches capacity, or until the first day of class, whichever comes first.  We recommend registering at least two weeks in advance of a course's start date to ensure that you receive all the information regarding the class ahead of time.  

Non-matriculated students can register and pay online.  Alternatively, students may register by submitting a registration form, including payment in full or deposit (please note: deposit option is not available for Summer Music Studies courses).  We also accept registration by phone. 

Matriculated (MM, MEd & Grad Certificates) students will be contacted by their advisor regarding course planning, registration, and deadlines. 

View PIE Courses & Registration

View SMS Courses & Registration

View Professional Studies Policies

←Back to top

Q: Who teaches PIE & SMS classes and programs?

PIE & SMS courses are taught by expert educators, artists, and creative professionals who enjoy the opportunity to share their expertise and collaborate with our students.  Many of our faculty teach in the degree programs at the University.  Learn more about our faculty by visiting the course pages: 

View PIE Courses & Registration

View SMS Courses & Registration

←Back to top

Q: Where are PIE & SMS classes held?

UArts is located in the cultural district of Center City—the heart of downtown Philadelphia. UArts is situated near historic City Hall, Reading Terminal Market, and Rittenhouse Square, and within walking distance from world-class museums, theaters, and concert halls.

UArts is dedicated to keeping all students safe. Academic buildings are staffed with security officers, and only those with a UArts ID or building pass are permitted inside UArts buildings.

Getting to UArts

Locations & Parking Info

View campus map + driving directions

←Back to top

Q: Is financial assistance available?

No, financial assistance is not available for PIE & SMS classes or graduate programs. 

The MM and MEd programs are not federal-aid eligible.  You can select to take out a private educational loan to cover some or all of the costs. UArts has a list of lenders available at for you to compare.  Contact Student Financial Services for more information on selecting a private educational loan.   

←Back to top

Q: Do I have to attend every class?  What if I need to miss class/es?

Your instructor will go over attendance policies and expectations on the first day of class.  Please discuss any absences and necessary makeup work with your instructor.  Class sessions that are canceled due to inclement weather will be rescheduled at the discretion of the PIE & SMS directors and faculty.

View more about PIE & SMS Attendance in Policies  

←Back to top


Q: How do I obtain an itemized receipt for my classes?

Our new registration system ( sends a basic receipt by email instantly upon payment.  An itemized invoice is sent at 5 PM on the day of registration.  This detailed invoice is sent to the student's email address as a PDF attachment.  The invoice is on UArts letterhead and includes the student's full name and home address, date of registration/payment, course(s), tuition for each course, applicable fees for each course, and total amount paid.  Please check your inbox before emailing our office to request a receipt. 

You can also view your registration history / payments by logging in to your account at

←Back to top


Q: How do I access my grades / unofficial transcript?

Your grades and unofficial transcript can be accessed on the UArts Portal (MyUArts Record).  Grades are typically available one week following the completion of your course / your submission of any final projects.  Your instructor will go over grading policies and expectations on the first day of class.  You will also have the opportunity to provide feedback to PIE & SMS about your experience via an exit survey at the end of the course.  View more about PIE & SMS Grading in Policies

You can also access an unofficial transcript on the UArts Portal (MyUArts Record  > Academic Profile > Transcript). 

View instructions for accessing the UArts Portal and MyUArts Record below: 

UArts Portal First-Time Login Instructions

←Back to top

Q: How do I request an official transcript?

Requests for official transcripts (both paper & digital) are processed by the Registrar's Office via an online form.  Please note, there is a fee to process this request.  

Request transcript

If you have additional questions regarding your student records, please contact the Registrar's office at registrar@uarts.eduPlease note: it is best to use your email address when communicating about your student record.

←Back to top

Q: How do I log in to the UArts Portal / my UArts email?

Access the UArts Portal (MyUArts Record) to view grades, registration statement, unofficial transcript, and more.

You can use your UArts credentials to log in to your email account via Gmail.  

First-time log in instructions

Trouble logging in? Contact the Help Desk: (215)717-6677 or

←Back to top

Q: When will my Act 48 hours be posted?

The School of Professional Studies posts Act 48 to the state after final grades have been submitted, in batch uploads that typically occur during the last week of each month.

Learn more about Act 48 & Teacher Professional Development

Download Act 48 Request Form

←Back to top

Q: Can I transfer non-matriculated ("NM") credits into matriculated programs (MEd, MM, or Graduate Certificates)?

Yes, six "NM" credits can be transferred into either of the MEd programs (PIE), or the MM program (SMS). Three "NM" credits can be applied to Graduate Certificate programs. 

←Back to top


Request more info

Contact Professional Studies |
Graduate & Professional Studies
211 S. Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 717 - 6006

Follow PIE & SMS