Q: What is Continuing Education?

Continuing Education supports the mission of the University of the Arts by facilitating access to innovative educational opportunities and resources for a diverse population of adult learners including credit and non-credit courses, workshops and certificate programs designed to anticipate and meet the changing professional, academic and lifelong learning needs of individuals in the greater Philadelphia region.

Continuing Education Student Learning Outcomes

  • Students will engage and take responsibility as active learners, recognizing the value of education throughout their life.
  • Students will develop skills and successfully apply acquired classroom knowledge in professional and personal settings.
  • Students will find engagement in Continuing Education courses and workshops conducive to their academic, professional and personal enrichment goals.

←Back to top

Q: How do I register for Continuing Education classes? Is there a deadline?

Registration is accepted until a course reaches capacity, or until the first day of class, whichever comes first.  We recommend registering at least two weeks in advance of a course's start date to ensure that you receive all the information regarding the class ahead of time. 

View Courses & Register

←Back to top

Q: How do I apply for a Continuing Education certificate program? Is there a deadline?

Certificate programs generally begin either in the Fall semester or Spring semester, depending on the program.  Upcoming application deadlines are listed on the individual certificate pages.  

Learn more about CE Certificates

←Back to top

Q: Can I apply a class I've already taken to a Continuing Education certificate program?

You can apply relevant classes taken for-credit to Continuing Education certificate programs.  Classes must be part of the given certificate program's course sequence to apply.  Check the individual certificate pages for more information.  

←Back to top

Q: Who teaches Continuing Education classes and programs?

Continuing Education courses are taught by artists, industry experts, and creative professionals. Many of our faculty teach in the degree programs at UArts. Our faculty is comprised of seasoned educators and dedicated artists who enjoy the opportunity to share their expertise and collaborate with our students.  Learn more about the faculty by viewing our Courses & Registration page.

View Courses & Registration

←Back to top

Q: Where is UArts? How do I get to campus?

UArts is located in the cultural district of Center City—the heart of downtown Philadelphia. UArts is situated near historic City Hall, Reading Terminal Market, and Rittenhouse Square, and within walking distance from world-class museums, theaters, and concert halls.

UArts is dedicated to keeping all students safe. Academic buildings are staffed with security officers, and only those with a UArts ID or building pass are permitted inside UArts buildings.

Getting to UArts

Location, Public Transit, & Parking Info

View campus map + driving directions

←Back to top

Q: Is financial assistance available?

No, financial assistance is not available for Continuing Education classes or certificate programs.

CE certificate programs are not federal-aid eligible.  You can select to take out a private educational loan to cover some or all of the costs. UArts has a list of lenders available at http://www.elmselect.com for you to compare.  Contact Student Financial Services for more information on selecting a private educational loan.     

←Back to top

Q: Do I have to attend every class?  What if I need to miss a class?

Your instructor will go over attendance policies and expectations on the first day of class.  Please discuss any absences with your instructor, and makeup work if necessary.  Class sessions that are canceled due to inclement weather will be rescheduled at the discretion of the Continuing Education director and faculty.

View more about CE Attendance in Policies  

←Back to top

Q: Will I be graded for my Continuing Education class?  Will my instructor provide feedback?

In general, credit-bearing courses are graded; non-credit and enrichment courses are not graded.  Your instructor will go over grading policies and expectations on the first day of class.  Your instructor will provide feedback to you throughout the course, and many courses culminate with a final project or critique.  You will also have the opportunity to provide feedback to Continuing Education about your experience via an exit survey at the end of the course.  

View more about CE Grading in Policies

←Back to top

Q: I took a course for credit and need an official transcript.  How do I request a transcript?

Requests for official transcripts (both paper & digital) are processed by the Registrar's Office via an online form.  Please note, there is a fee to process this request.  

 Request transcript

If you have additional questions regarding your student records, please contact the Registrar's office at registrar@uarts.eduPlease note: it is best to use your @uarts.edu email address when communicating about your student record.

←Back to top

Q: I work at UArts and am eligible for Tuition Remission.  How do I use this benefit for Continuing Education?

Check with Human Resources at (215)717-6365 to determine if you are eligible for tuition remission.  If you are eligible, you can use your tuition remission to enroll in Continuing Education classes.  

To register for Continuing Education using tuition remission:

  1. Submit the Tuition Remission Request Form to hr@uarts.edu. Review the Staff Manual or speak with HR to find out how much tuition remission you should expect to receive.

  2. Send the Tuition Remission Registration Form to ccps@uarts.edu.

  3. Create a student profile* in our new registration system, if you have not done so already. Once HR approves your Tuition Remission Request, our office will process your registration and prompt you to pay the applicable course fee online in Enrole.
    *Please note that if you teach for CE, PIE, or Pre-College, you already have a profile in Enrole — contact our office for assistance.

Questions? Call (215)717-6006 or stop by the College of Critical & Professional Studies with the Center for Engagement office (temporary office location in Gershman Hall, Room 205).

←Back to top

Q: How do I log in to the UArts Portal / my UArts email?

Access the UArts Portal to view grades, registration statement, unofficial transcript, and more.

You can use your UArts credentials to log in to your @uarts.edu email account via Gmail.  

First-time login instructions

Trouble logging in? Contact the Help Desk: (215)717-6677 or helpdesk@uarts.edu

←Back to top

Q: Can I audit a Continuing Education or other University of the Arts class?

No, we do not offer an auditing option for CE courses. Our policy stipulates that only registered students may attend a class.

←Back to top

Q: How often are Continuing Education classes held?

Courses are offered year‐round in three semesters: Fall (October through December), Winter/Spring (January through April), and Summer (June through August).  Course offerings vary by semester in the following general subject areas: Art + Design; Digital Design; Music, Movement + Dance; Photography; Social Media; and Writing.  

←Back to top

 Q: What programs does UArts have for international students (who require an F1 visa)? 

For international students interested in attending UArts, please contact Mara Flamm, Director of International Student Services, mflamm@uarts.edu  |  (215)717-6621. 

Learn more

←Back to top

If you would like to meet with a Continuing Education staff member, please call or email us to schedule an appointment at our Center City Philadelphia office.  Philadelphia Campus Tours: Contact the Office of Admissions to arrange for a tour — admissions@uarts.edu  or  (215) 717 - 6049


Request more info

Contact Continuing Education
School of Critical & Professional Studies
   with the Center for Engagement
211 S. Broad St., Terra Hall 905
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 717 - 6006