Short Travel Course: Ecuador
June 20 - July 2, 2020
TCLA-200 Service Learning in Ecuador
Dates: June 20-July 2, 2020
Credits: Critical Studies Elective | 3 Credits
Who can participate? Open to all UArts students
This service-learning tour to Ecuador starts in Quito where you’ll tour historic sites like Plaza de la Independencia and Iglesia San Francisco. We’ll then travel to Otavalo, a town in the Andean highlands, where you’ll stay with a family and serve the community through projects in local schools, participation in sustainable farming initiatives, and maintenance of recreational areas. During your stay, you will be creating a visual journal of your experience through, but not limited to, reflective wring, photography, drawing, and collage. Each night we will come together as a class and discuss our experiences together to help inform the impact service-learning can have on your community.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Collect, archive, and analyze research sources linked to study away experience.
- Theorize a more globally conscious way of analyzing culture and self.
- Reflect on — in writing, visually and or verbally — connections between the study away experience and personal, cultural, and creative contexts.
- Identify cultural differences and similarities and the role of culture in shaping values, beliefs, and practices, and perceptions.
- Reflect on how the service-learning experience has affected your thinking about social responsibility and your personal, academic or career goals.
Travel Package: $4,063
Deposit: $500 due by 2/28/2020
Final payment due by 4/19/2020
Travel Package includes:
- Roundtrip airfare from Philadelphia to Quito, Ecuador.
- 12 nights of accommodations at hotels.
- Professional tour guides (English-speaking).
- Entrances for cultural sites.
- Ground transportation.
- Ground transportation in safe, clean motorcoach between Quito to Banos; from Banos to Ingapirca; from Ingapirca to Cuenca; from Cuenca to Guayaquil.
- Welcome Dinner + Farewell Dinner
- Daily buffet breakfast at the hotel
- Special dinner at Ingapirca
- Cooking class lunch in Otavalo
- Wireless internet at all hotels
Other costs to consider:
- Lunch and dinner are on your own, with the exception of noted itinerary meals.
- Course Tuition: $403 The new special summer 2019 Travel Course credit rates are $134 per credit, up to 3 credits. Same tuition rate whether you are taking for credit or auditing the class.
- International cell phone plan.
- $199 Optional Travel Protection Plan Cancel for Any Reason (per person).
- Luggage overage fees and hotel incidentals are not included and are the responsibility of the program participants.
- Passport application fees if you need to secure.
Info coming soon. Email email@example.com for details.
❏ Make sure you have a passport with an expiration date 6 months after the last day of your trip date.
❏ Complete the Travel Course Application. You can access it via the Student Forms page on the Portal.
❏ Look for your confirmation email!
❏ Go to Student Financial Service to pay your $500 deposit.
❏ In person payments: Student Financial Services office.
❏ Complete Risk & Release form.
❏ Complete the Travel Information form, which includes a passport upload + emergency contacts.
❏ Wait for approval notification.
❏ Final payment due to SFS.
❏ Check your registration (you will automatically be registered upon final payment).
❏ Attend your pre-departure workshop.
Caitlin Perkins, Coordinator for Short Travel