English Proficiency Requirements
Undergraduate international applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in written and spoken English. This can be done as follows:
- A minimum score of 79 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- A minimum score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- A minimum score of 48 on the Duolingo English Test.
Applicants who meet the academic and creative requirements for admission but whose scores do not meet the English proficiency requirement for degree study may receive an offer of conditional admission that requires enrollment in the University's English as a Second Language Institute (ESLI). Applicants who successfully complete Level 9 of ESL study in ESLI will then be able to begin their degree program studies.
In special circumstances, applicants who have not taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test can request a waiver of this requirement. The request should be submitted in writing and include the reason for opting not to take the exams. Requests will then be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may require an interview.
A waiver may be considered for those applicants who:
- Enrolled in an accredited high school in the U.S. and successfully completed two years of high school English, not taken in conjunction with ESL study, and earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in those classes.
- Enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university in the U.S. and successfully completed two semester of college-level English, not taken in conjunction with ESL study, and earned a minimum 3.0 in those classes.