Common Questions


Are scholarships available?

Yes. Generous, merit-based scholarships are available for UArts students, including international students. Scholarships are competitive and vary in amount but offer a considerable reduction in the price of tuition.

What are the amounts of scholarships?

Scholarship amounts vary but scholarships can cover up to 50% of the cost of tuition.

How is the amount decided?

Applicants are evaluated on a combination of credentials including: past academic success, creative portfolios and/or auditions, test scores, related experience and general suitability of one’s interests and goals within our programs.

Are international students eligible for scholarships?

Yes, international students are eligible for merit-based scholarships under the same criteria as domestic applicants.

Is there an application or deadline?

No, Students are automatically considered for scholarships at the time of admission. UArts operates on a rolling admissions basis, but programs are filled on a space-available basis, so submitting your materials early may improve your chances for acceptance.

Is there a scholarship consideration deadline?

No. UArts operates on a rolling admissions basis, meaning you’re considered for admission and scholarship regardless of when you submit your application. However, keep in mind that programs are filled on a space-available basis, so submitting your materials early may improve your chances for acceptance.

Can I appeal my scholarship?

While the amount of your Merit-Based scholarship won’t change, please contact Student Financial Services if you have a situation that warrants appealing for additional financial aid.

Financial Aid

How do I apply?

UArts only requires that students complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid in order to be evaluated for need-based aid. All US Citizens and eligible non-citizens are encouraged to apply at

Do you accept Veterans Benefits?

Financial support from Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Chapter 35 Dependents’ Education Assistance and Montgomery GI Bills can be used to help pay for your tuition if you are eligible to receive them. Apply online for VA Benefits. The VA certifying official for UArts is Lakeisha Sanders. For any certification questions you can contact her at

What if my Financial Aid isn’t enough?

If you are having a hard time figuring out how to cover the costs of your tuition, please contact our office so we can review all available options for your specific circumstances.

Can I attend part-time and receive aid?

University aid, including Merit-based Scholarships, is typically not awarded to part-time students. There may be federal or state programs for which you may be eligible for as a part-time student. Please contact our office prior to making the decision to attend part-time so we can review how this will impact your financial aid and billed expenses.

Does my Financial Aid apply to Study Abroad?

Yes, financial aid and Merit-based scholarships can be applied to approved study-abroad programs. Since there are additional costs such as travel insurance, housing and airfare, we encourage all students to meet with a counselor in Student Financial Services prior to applying to study abroad.

Can I use Financial Aid to pay for Off-Campus Housing?

Yes, you can use financial aid, including loans, to help assist with the costs of living off-campus. If you are relying on a refund from an over-payment, keep in mind that fall refund checks are generally not available until late September and spring checks until mid-February. Make sure you plan ahead to pay your rent for these months.

How do I get refunded for an overpayment?

Refunds are automatically issued in the 2 weeks after the drop/add period has ended. The refunds are issued as checks and are able to be picked up by students if made out to them or mailed to Parent PLUS loan borrowers.

Can I become an Independent Student?

Students cannot become independent unless there are extraordinary circumstances or they meet the Department of Education's criteria for Independent Students. Filing taxes and claiming yourself as a dependent typically does not make you independent for the FAFSA. You can view common questions about FAFSA dependency status on the federal student aid website.


What payment methods can I use for one-time payments?

One-time payments can be made online with a checking account for free or with Visa, Master Card, American Express, or Discover; there is a surcharge when paying with a credit card. These payments can be made online through the Student Account Center or in the SFS office with a check.

When are bills due?

You can find the current billing timeline at

Why is health insurance on my bill?

All students are required to have health insurance coverage or take the university health insurance plan. To learn more about the health insurance requirement, the university-sponsored health insurance plan, or to remove the charge from your bill, visit

I set up a payment plan, but my bill still shows a balance due?

If you bill reflects the payment plan but still shows a balance due then your payment plan was not setup for enough to cover the bill in full. You should call TMS at (800) 722-4867 to adjust your bill or call our office if you need help finding additional options to cover your balance.

I want to pay my bill with a 529 how do I get it applied?

Check with your 529 agency to see what information they require well in advance of the billing deadline. Many 529 agencies take 2-3 weeks to process payments so plan ahead to make sure your funds will arrive on the billing due date.

I have an outside scholarship that will be covering part or all of my bill, how do I get this applied?

Please email our office a copy of the outside scholarship notification. It must include the amount, time period (year or semester) you are receiving it for, and the agency or payer contact information for the scholarship.

I’ve taken out a loan to cover my bill but they said it won’t disburse until after the due date?

All loans that are fully certified will be credited on your bill and you will not receive a late fee if the loan was ready for certification by the due date. Please make sure your lender has all required documents if you have not received notification that the loan has been certified.

Why is my balance in carets ("<>")?

The carets indicate your bill has a negative balance or credit. If you are due a refund, refunds will be issued according to our policy specified at

I paid my old bill but it still shows as unpaid?

Statements will continue to show until you file them if they were not paid through the online system. If your payment came in another form, you will need to file the old bill so it no longer shows.


Downloadable Documents

Below are some commonly requested forms. All students may complete a 2017-2018 information release form to allow us to speak with parents or third party individuals about their account, financial aid, and/or academic information. You may need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download and print the following documents. Get Adobe Reader.

2017-2018 Verification Documents

2017-2018 Special Circumstance Documents

Policies, Rights & Privacy

The University of the Arts complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) regulations.

Confidentiality and Privacy of Financial Aid Information

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974)

Under FERPA, educational privacy and access rights accrue to the student when she/he turns 18 OR enrolls in a post-secondary institution. The University of the Arts is a post-secondary institution.

Persons who have applied to but who have not attended the University as an enrolled student are not covered under FERPA. Under institutional policy, applicants are extended the same privacy and access rights to their financial aid information as students.

Applicants, students and parents should be aware of the following institutional financial aid privacy policies. The financial aid staff is permitted to discuss or otherwise disclose a student's financial aid information to the following parties:

  1. the student.
  2. the student's parent(s) whose information appears on the FAFSA.
  3. other University officials having a legitimate educational reason to know the student's financial aid information (e.g. staff in the billing office so that they can manage the student's account).
  4. external agencies and organizations such as guarantors, lenders, state grant agencies, and auditors that have a legitimate reason to know the student's financial aid information (i.e. staff at such agencies authorized to process loans and grants for the student).
  5. external federal agencies granted such rights under FERPA e.g. DOE, INS, CSPCA, et cetera).

Under FERPA, institutions are required to disclose a student's information (sometimes without notification to the student) in response to commands from the courts (typically subpoenas) and demands from specific federal agencies. The Financial Aid staff will comply with all lawfully issued demands for information from the entities identified in the FERPA regulations and will (or will not) notify the student as required.

Students and parents should be aware that their signatures on the FAFSA and other financial aid documents (e.g. loan applications) authorize the release of their information to certain federal and state agencies. Please read the FAFSA and other financial aid documents for more information.

Depending upon the scope of the information requested by the student or other authorized parties, the Financial Aid Office may require time to present the records requested. When the information requested cannot be produced immediately the Financial Aid Office may require such time as is permitted under FERPA regulations to retrieve and present the records requested.

The Financial Aid staff is not permitted to discuss or otherwise disclose a student's Financial Aid information to others including but not limited to:

  1. the student's parent(s) or stepparent(s) whose information does not appear on the FAFSA (the non-filing parent) without written permission from the student and the filing parent.
  2. the student's parent(s) or stepparent(s) whose information does appear on the FAFSA when the parents have separated or divorced and the other parent has been identified as the custodial parent, without written permission from the student and the custodial parent.
  3. high school guidance counselors and teachers.
  4. the student's spouse.
  5. interested relatives, neighbors, and friends.

The Financial Aid Staff is not permitted to discuss or otherwise disclose academic information (which includes but is not limited to scholarship eligibility, financial aid eligibility, grades, grade-point average, academic standing, or probationary status) to anyone (except the federal and state agencies responsible for processing the student's financial aid or having authority under FERPA to access such information) other than the student (whether or not the student is dependent, whether or not the parent pays the invoice) without the student's written authorization.

Information Release

When extraordinary circumstances prevent the student from accessing and understanding financial aid or account information the Student Financial Services staff may discuss normally confidential information with the individual(s) the student designates on the 2017-2018 information release form. Students may pick up the form in the Office of Student Financial Services and students must complete and sign the information release form in the office in the presence of a staff member.

Due to the highly sensitive nature of financial and academic information, facsimiles, photocopies or mailed information release forms will not be accepted. Students can rescind the information release at any time by notifying the office at from their university email.

Ethical Principles

The University of the Arts fully supports and adheres to the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct for Instructional Financial aid Professionals.

Rights and Responsibilities

The receipt of financial aid is a privilege, which creates both rights and responsibilities. Students have the right to know the method used to determine their need; the right to have access to information and records used in determining need; and the right to be awarded aid as equitably as funds permit. Students applying for financial aid are responsible for accurately portraying financial resources and circumstances and notifying the Financial Aid Office of any changes in status; for applying in a timely manner; and for maintaining satisfactory academic progress and good standing. Students who fail to maintain adequate progress will be placed on probation. Failure to correct academic deficiency will result in the loss of financial aid until the required credits and grade-point average have been earned. Students, parents, or others who knowingly provide false information on any financial aid form (financial aid forms include but are not limited to the FAFSA, verification forms, Work Study time cards and loan applications) will be denied financial aid and will be refused for all subsequent years without the possibility of appeal. Additionally, students so identified will be billed for all aid disbursed and may face prosecution by the Department of Education, which may result in fine, imprisonment, or both. While the Financial Aid Office staff is available to assist students through the application process, it is the student's responsibility to see to the correctness and completeness of his or her application. If a student receives notification that his/her FAFSA or loan application is incomplete, the student must determine what is necessary to complete the application(s) and submit the required information. An application for financial aid will have no effect on the decision concerning admission. The admission decision is made without access to financial aid data.

Eligibility After Drug Conviction

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student from federal financial aid funds.

Convictions apply if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV federal financial aid; convictions do not count if the offense did not occur during such a period. A conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record does not count toward federal financial aid eligibility. In addition, a conviction received when the student was a juvenile does not apply, unless that student was tried as an adult.

The following chart illustrates the period of ineligibility for federal financial aid programs.

Please note that eligibility is dependent upon the nature of the conviction and the number of prior offenses.

Possession of Illegal Drugs Sale of illegal drugs

1st Offense - 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction

2nd Offense - 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite Period

3+ Offenses - Indefinite Period

Pursuant to federal law, a conviction for the sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs. Moreover, those students convicted of both selling and possessing illegal drugs will be subject to ineligibility for the longer period as prescribed under the circumstances.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make the student ineligible again for federal financial aid programs.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it only after successfully completing a rehabilitation program as described below. Furthermore, eligibility can be regained if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record so that fewer than two convictions for the sale or three convictions for the possession of illegal drugs remain on the student's record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student's responsibility to certify to the University that a qualified drug rehabilitation program has been completed.

For purposes of financial aid eligibility, a qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state licensed insurance company.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

For more information regarding illegal drug convictions and financial aid eligibility, please visit the Frequently Asked Question section of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website or visit the Office of Student Financial Services, room 270, Hamilton Hall.

Merit-Based Scholarship Terms & Conditions

Any University merit-based award will be awarded and renewed under the following terms and conditions:

  1. You must be admitted to the University of the Arts.
  2. You must not have received a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
  3. With the exception of the International Presidential Scholarship you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen.
  4. You must enroll as a full-time undergraduate at The University of the Arts. Full-time is defined as completing between 12 and 18 credits each semester. If you complete fewer than 12 credits each semester, your merit award may be revoked.
  5. The Presidential Scholarship, Promising Artist Award, Director's Talent Scholarship, Artist Grant, and Named and Endowed Scholarships will not be granted for more than 8 semesters. If you transfer to The University of the Arts, your scholarship will be pro-rated based on the number of semesters you have remaining to complete your degree after your transfer credits are evaluated.
  6. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with University regulations.
  7. Your merit award may be revoked should you withdraw from or take a leave of absence from The University of the Arts. The University reserves the right to terminate this merit award if your enrollment is not continuous from the date of your original entry.
  8. Should you be subject to disciplinary action, academic probation or dismissal while enrolled at The University of the Arts, your merit award may be revoked.
  9. The University of the Arts reserves the right to reduce this merit award to eliminate any cash refund to you should your merit award, when combined with other financial aid, outside scholarships, or benefits, exceed the cost of attendance.
  10. The merit scholarship is a tuition scholarship, which cannot be combined with other University sponsored grants, scholarships, or benefits (which include, but are not limited to, tuition remission, tuition exchange, or tuition discounts) to be used toward dormitory fees or other non-tuition expenses.
  11. Should you decline a merit award, the offer becomes void and is canceled. If your merit award is canceled, you may reapply, but you will then be considered on a funds-available basis and may not be awarded the same amount.

Title IV Loan Program Code of Conduct

In order to ensure transparency in the administration of the student financial aid program and to avoid the harm that may arise from actual, potential, or perceived conflicts of interest, the University of the Arts has adopted the following code of conduct:

The University of the Arts shall not enter into a revenue-sharing arrangement, which is defined as an arrangement between a school and a lender under which the lender pays a fee or provides other material benefits, including revenue or profit sharing to the school, an officer or employee of the school, or an agent and in exchange, the school recommends the lender or the lender’s loan products and the lender makes Title IV loans to the student attending the school.

Any officer or school employee who is employed in the Office of Student Financial Services or who has responsibilities with respect to student loans is prohibited from soliciting or accepting any gift from a lender, guarantor, or servicer of educations loans.

An officer or employee of the Office of Student Financial Services or who has responsibilities with respect to education loans or an agent who has responsibilities with respect to education loans shall not accept any fee, payment, or other financial benefit (including the opportunity to purchase stock) as compensation from any lender or affiliate for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide services to the lender or on behalf of the lender with regard to education loans.

The University of the Arts shall not request or accept funds from any lender for private education loans including funds for an opportunity pool loan to its students in exchange for the school providing concessions or promises to the lender regarding the number or volume of Title IV loans or a preferred lender arrangement.

The Office of Student Financial Services personnel will not assign, deny or otherwise impede a borrower’s right to choose a particular lender or guarantor.

Requests or acceptance of any assistance from any lender with call center or Office of Student Financial Services staffing is prohibited.

Any school employee, in the Office of Student Financial Services or with responsibilities regarding the education loans or financial aid, who serves on an advisory board commission, or group established by a lender, guarantor, or group of lender or guarantors shall be prohibited from receiving anything of value from the lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors. However, the employee may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in serving on the advisory board, commission, or group.

Need Help? Contact Us

Toll-Free: 800-616-ARTS x6170 or 215-717-6170