Wood / Furniture (BFA)
UArts is no longer accepting applications for this program.
In the study of Wood/Furniture at UArts, you'll gain a mastery of tools, methods and materials to create meaningful, unique pieces—and have many opportunities to display your work in studio, on campus and in the neighborhood.
You'll have broad exposure to design theory and woodworking techniques, while working with hand and power tools, using chisels, hammers, gouges and hand planes.
You'll have many opportunities to exhibit your work, both at UArts and at major exhibitions such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show and the Philadelphia Furniture Show.
At the heart of the curriculum of the Craft + Material Studies Major with a concentration in Wood and Furniture is the notion of thinking through making. Wood and Furniture students are passionate about working with their hands and about discussing the ideas and concepts underlying their art. Wood and Furniture students learn to express themselves through material and process. A student who pursues Craft and Material Studies will work closely with an advisor to determine the curricular path that best matches their artistic goals.
Students who complete the Craft + Material Studies Major with a concentration in Wood and Furniture will:
- Demonstrate independent, creative problem solving and original thinking. They exhibit a distinct and personal approach to art making.
- Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary issues and historical precedents. They have an appreciation for experimentation/innovation as well as for the traditions of making as applied to contemporary craft practice.
- Acquire and demonstrate the professional skills needed to be successful as artists, entrepreneurs, designers for industry and productive citizens.
- Be able to talk and write about art (including their own work) critically, intelligently and with considerable insight.
- Acquire the level of technical skill required for them to reach their career goals. They establish a work practice appropriate to their ideas and demonstrate a deep familiarity with materials and processes.
Drawing: Objects & Space
Drawing: Natural Forms & The Human Figure
Found & Fabricated
Computers for Object Makers
Woodworking Exploration Projects
Woodworking Exploration Studio
Wood/Furniture Junior Studio I
Wood/Furniture Junior Studio II
Wood/Furniture Junior Projects
Wood/Furniture Senior Thesis I
Wood/Furniture Senior Thesis II
Wood/Furniture Senior Studio
Craft Senior Projects
Alumni & Careers
Having experienced all aspects of making, from initial design to the final finished piece, Craft graduates are flexible and well-prepared to become independent studio artists, or to find positions in related fields in design, business and industry, or go on to pursue advanced degrees. Click the image below to read more.
See UArts for yourself
The best way to get to know UArts is by visiting our campus in person. Come see a show, visit a gallery, and get to know the neighborhood.
Not sure where to start?
We're glad you want to learn more. Our admissions team is happy to send additional information about our school.