Music Business, Entrepreneurship + Technology
In the Music Business, Entrepreneurship & Technology (MBET) program, you’ll learn the fundamentals of the music business in the context of an arts-based education. Available as a major or a minor, our comprehensive coursework takes place in and out of the classroom, and you’ll network and make connections through internship placements at some of Philadelphia’s most reputable institutions. Our goal is to empower the artists and engineers who will create the technologies of the future.
Our faculty is made up of active professionals who are working in the industry here in Philadelphia, which is fast becoming one of the best music cities in the United States.
Click the image below to read more.
Sample Courses in the MBET Major
About the Curriculum
The Music Business, Entrepreneurship + Technology (MBET) curriculum takes great advantage of cross-discipline and collaborative opportunities in the all-arts environment of the University of the Arts. Courses cover the core areas of Business/Entrepreneurship (business, fundamentals, music business and innovation, and entrepreneurship), Technology and Application (recording, live sound and web design), a rich and diverse pool of electives throughout the University, Music (music skills and critical listening), and the Liberal Arts. Additional study in international business, project courses, and internships maximize career portfolio strategies.
Students graduating from the MBET program will:
- Possess essential business knowledge in the foundational areas of marketing, communications, and business, contract, and entertainment law;
- Possess essential music business knowledge in intellectual property, music licensing, media markets, and event production and management;
- Possess technological skills in audio production, recording, live sound reinforcement, digital distribution, and web/interface design;
- Possess foundational music knowledge and competencies, the understanding of music form and structure, and critical listening and assessment skills;
- Possess advanced writing and presentation skills;
- Have engaged in entrepreneurial activities relative to the production, marketing, and distribution of music and other performance and art media;
- Understand e-commerce and be able to identify and use emerging technologies;
- Collaborate and partner with other University students and departments, as well as professional organizations;
- Be information literate, aware, resourceful, and problem-solving critical thinkers;
- Use all of the above as the basis for creative and innovative output.
To explore the full curriculum, click here.
Click the images below to read more.
Start your application
Begin your application today. Our admissions team will help you throughout the process.
See UArts for yourself
The best way to get to know UArts is by visiting our campus in person. Come see a show, visit a gallery, and get to know the neighborhood.
Not sure where to start?
We're glad you want to learn more. Our admissions team is happy to send additional information about our school.