Fibers and Textile Studies
The Fibers + Textile Studies concentration in the Craft + Material Studies program will allow you to explore materials such as loom-woven and mixed-media fabrics and gain a thorough understanding of the inherent physical qualities and potential image-making possibilities of fabric. You'll learn in many ways, in and out of the classroom, through demonstrations, slide presentations, field trips, informal discussion and group critiques.
- Faculty Spotlight
- Alumni & Careers
You'll have many opportunities to exhibit your work, both at UArts, through the annual wearable art show put on by the Experimental Costume Design and Performance program, and at major exhibitions such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show and the Philadelphia Furniture Show.
More than lecturers, professors in the Craft and Material Studies program are skilled artists and innovative thinkers. Meet the faculty in the Craft and Material Studies program by reading their profiles and artist statements.
Click the image below to read more.
Sample Courses in the Craft + Material Studies Major with a concentration in Fibers and Textile Studies
Drawing: Objects & Space
Drawing: Natural Forms & The Human Figure
Found & Fabricated
3D Computer Modeling
Fibers Mixed Media Exploration
Color and the Loom Exploration
Constructed Surface Exploration
Fibers and Textile Studies Junior Studio I
Fibers and Textile Studies Junior Studio II
Fibers and Textile Studies Junior Projects
Fibers and Textile Studies Senior Thesis I
Fibers and Textile Studies Senior Thesis II
Fibers and Textile Studies Senior Studio
Craft Senior Projects
About the Curriculum
At the heart of the curriculum of the Craft + Material Studies Major with a concentration in Fibers and Textile Studies is the notion of thinking through making. Fibers and Textile Studies students are passionate about working with their hands and about discussing the ideas and concepts underlying their art. Fibers and Textile Studies students learn to express themselves through material and process. A student who pursues Craft and Material Studies will work closely with an advisor to determine the curricular path that best matches their artistic goals.
Students who complete the Craft + Material Studies Major with a concentration in Fibers and Textile Studies will:
- Demonstrate independent, creative problem solving and original thinking. They exhibit a distinct and personal approach to art making.
- Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary issues and historical precedents. They have an appreciation for experimentation/innovation as well as for the traditions of making as applied to contemporary craft practice.
- Acquire and demonstrate the professional skills needed to be successful as artists, entrepreneurs, designers for industry and productive citizens.
- Be able to talk and write about art (including their own work) critically, intelligently and with considerable insight.
- Acquire the level of technical skill required for them to reach their career goals. They establish a work practice appropriate to their ideas and demonstrate a deep familiarity with materials and processes.
To earn the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Crafts + Material Studies, with a concentration in Fibers and Textile Studies, students will complete a total of 126 credits as follows:
- 40.5 credits in the Fine Arts Major
- 18 credits in College of Art, Media & Design Core Studies
- 6 credits in School of Art Core
- 4.5 credits in Creative Practices and Collaborative Studio
- 12 credits in Art History
- 30 credits in the Liberal Arts
- 15 credits in Free Electives
Fibers and Textile Studies can also be studied as an emphasis in the Fine Arts Program.
Click on the images below to read more.
Start your application
Begin your application today. Our admissions team will help you throughout the process.
See UArts for yourself
The best way to get to know UArts is by visiting our campus in person. Come see a show, visit a gallery, and get to know the neighborhood.
Not sure where to start?
We're glad you want to learn more. Our admissions team is happy to send additional information about our school.