Andrew Dahlgren is a designer, organizer, maker and teacher. He studied industrial design as an undergraduate at North Carolina State University's College of Design and in graduate school at the University of the Arts' Master of Industrial Design program. Outside of his formal education, Andrew has worked as a wood worker and metal fabricator. He has produced custom furniture, architectural specialities, art work, taking on each step of the process from designer to producer to project manager. Andrew has been teaching Industrial Design and Product Design since 2007 at UArts and more recently he has taught at The University of Pennsylvania. Outside of teaching Andrew has been involved with organizing several projects and events: Philly Works, Made in Philly, and Urban Studio. These projects focus on helping independent designers and makers gain exposure for their work and expanding the audiences who have access to design. When not teaching and creating events Andrew develops products for his own home furnishings product line.
Andrew uses context to influence all decisions throughout his design process. Andrew works to create local industries. Local Industries are when all the necessary resources (materials, people, education, technology, and commerce) needed to produce products can be gotten within a localized region, both geographically and culturally. Working with local context as the defining parameter for all steps in the design process leads to more sustainable work. Designs are influenced by people (customers and workers), appropriate resources and technologies, and most importantly by the ability to see the immediate impacts (both positive and negative). Andrew's motivation to create local industries proliferates all his work as a teacher, maker, organizer, and designer.
- Knitting Machine Technology Exploration shown at Philly Works, October 2010
- Philly Row Home Rain Collection Designs shown Urban Studio Work in Progress, October 2009
- Select furniture pieces shown at Philly Heart Design, October 2008 and April 2007
- Resident Alien Mobile Living Unit exhibited at Skylight Gallery NYC, May 2006
- Unhome Shelter in a Cart concept shown at Korean Design Fair 2006
- Lead organizer for Philly Works Exhibit DesignPhiladelphia, October 2010 and 2009
Presentations, & Participation
- Presenter at From Concept to Customer: Manufacturing in Philly Presented by the Empowerment-Group, April 2010.
- Presenter at 2010 Philadelphia Green Skills Conference presented by Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, January 2010
- Panelist for Design Buy Sell: Local Design for a Local Market DesignPhiladelphia, October 2009
- Presenter at Global Creative Economy Convergence Summit, presented Urban Studio, October 2009
- Panelist for AIGA Philly Greenstock Series: Event 1 Local Design, February 2008
- 3 x 5 Modular Furniture published in Italian Glamour, October 2007
- Inhabitat.org published Resident Alien Mobile Living Unit project, July 4th 2006 article
Class Schedule, Spring 2016
|M||10:00AM - 03:50PM||Design Studio II|
|F||01:00PM - 05:20PM||Topics: Prototype Des Conc II|
|F||01:00PM - 05:20PM||Prototyping Design Concepts II|
|W||01:00PM - 06:50PM||Intro Design: Principles|
|T||08:30AM - 12:50PM||Collab: Knitting Peace|