Types of Aid

Each student who completes a FAFSA will be considered for all of the following types of aid:

Institutional Scholarships and Grants

University scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and demonstrated talent.  Graduate students are considered financially independent and are not eligible for need-based assistance.

To assist students and their families with financial planning for their enrollment, scholarship amounts are fixed and renewable for one year so long as the student makes satisfactory academic progress.

Graduate Students must be enrolled for at least nine credits to be considered for such assistance. 

Outside Scholarships

The University encourages students to explore all options for outside scholarship assistance. Local businesses, foundations, churches, unions, civic organizations, etc., often sponsor scholarships that can be used toward educational costs.

Secure and comprehensive scholarship search engines can be found at FastWeb or The College Board. The University of the Arts advises students NEVER to pay for financial aid information or for scholarship searches.

Additional scholarship rescources for Graduate students include:
The American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Jacob K. Javits Fellowships Program, through the U.S. Department of Education

Students who receive outside awards or scholarships are required by federal regulation to notify the Office of Student Financial Services. In some cases, outside scholarships may cause a revision or reduction of other types of aid.

Federal Work Study (FWS) 

FWS is a federally funded program administered by the University. Eligibility for this program is based upon the availability of funds to the University and the student’s EFC.

The Financial Aid Office will make a determination of the student’s eligibility to earn money through the FWS Program. Notification of eligibility will be included in the Award letter.

An FWS award is not an offer or a guarantee of a job; it is the amount a student is eligible to earn should she or he secure a job. Work study awards are not applied against the invoice. Payment is made directly to employed students by a University payroll check.

Eligible students are permitted to work up to 20 hours weekly when classes are in session. Students are paid at least minimum wage, and hours may be arranged to accommodate the class schedule. The FWS award can be used between July 1, 2008, and June 30, 2009.

Jobs are usually available throughout the University in academic departments, Public Safety, University offices, the University Libraries etc. Positions require various levels of skill and experience. Additional positions with approved off-campus, non-profit organizations provide students the opportunity to be employed in community service positions and receive payment through the FWS program.

Non-Federal Work Study (NFWS)

Students who do not qualify to work under the Federal Work Study program may work on campus under the NFWS program.

Information about job availability and placement is as listed in the Federal Work Study section.

General Information About Student Employment

The Student Employment Handbook contains expanded information about FWS and NFWS, job openings, and additional information for fall placement. The handbook is available on the UArts portal in late summer.

Students are reminded that falsifying time cards is a criminal offense, which can subject them to criminal prosecution, disciplinary action, expulsion, and/or loss of all financial aid.

William D. Ford Direct Student Loan Program

Beginning with the 2010-2011 academic year, graduate students will no longer be eligible to borrow the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan. The annual limit for graduate and professional students remains unchanged at $20,500 and the total lifetime aggregate limit also remains unchanged at $138,500. The maximum eligibility for a matriculated graduate student each academic year is now a $20,500 Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan (interest accrues while in school). The amount of the loan is awarded to you based on a number of factors such as enrollment status, other financial assistance (i.e. employer reimbursement) and cost of attendance. Please note that the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan will disburse evenly between the semesters you are enrolled.

William D. Ford Direct Graduate Plus Loan Program

Federal Graduate PLUS funds are now available to graduate students who are enrolled in degree programs at least half-time (4.5 credits) and need funding to bridge the gap between the Cost of Attendance (COA) and Federal Direct student loans. All graduate PLUS applications are subject to a credit check. Credit checks have only a 90-day window before they expire. The best time to apply is around June 1st of each year.

  • Students can borrow up to "cost less aid"
  • Student is the borrower – endorser may be required
  • Fixed-interest rate, currently at 7.21%, subject to change each year.
  • Based on simplified credit criteria 
  • May reduce high-cost alternative borrowing

The interest rates for new Direct Loans made on or after July 1, 2014, and before July 1, 2015. These rates will apply to all new Direct Loans made during this time.

  • 6.21% for Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Graduate or Professional Students)
  • 7.21 for Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Private Education Loans

Private education loans are privately funded loans which may be used to supplement students’ federal and University-based aid. When combined with all other forms of aid, alternative loans may not exceed the University’s cost of attendance. Approval for these loans is credit-based.

Once you and your family have considered federal loan options, you can use ELMSelect to find & utilize private lenders.

 To apply for a private loan, visit: