An active shooter is a situation where one or more individuals, using firearms, attempts to commit harm to one or multiple people. These types of situations can unfold very quickly and often times, there is no rhyme or reason to the people who have been targeted. People generally have three options: run, hide, or fight.
Please take a few minutes to watch this brief six-minute training video on active shooter situations. Please note: the video depicts an actual active shooter scenario; viewer discretion is advised.
If an active shooter scenario occurs on campus and you are able to exit the building safely, do so immediately and call 9-1-1. Notify Public Safety afterwards at 215-717-6666.
If you cannot exit the building, take the following steps:
- Do not open the door or go into the hallway to see what is happening
- Close and lock the door to the room that you are in
- Barricade the door with a desk, chairs, copiers, etc.
- Turn the lights off and remain quiet
- Turn the volume on your phone or other device off; call 9-1-1
- Stay away from windows
- If with multiple people, do not huddle in groups; arm yourself with whatever makeshift weapon you can find if necessary
- Do not attempt to confront the shooter unless as a last resort
- Do not leave until given approval by emergency personnel
Please note that in an active shooter scenario, emergency response personnel’s first job will be to eliminate the threat and not to provide medical attention.