Summer Institute : Music : Classes
• LESSONS Work with UArts faculty in small groups to improve style, technique, improvisation, and music reading in your chosen areas of interest.
• IMPROVISATION Become a stronger performer through working closely with faculty to build your vocabulary, rhythm, and ear training, as well as your understanding of jazz theory fundamentals.
• SMALL ENSEMBLES Work alongside three to five classmates under the direction of a faculty musician to interpret and harmonize melodies, improvise, and play as a cohesive ensemble.
• LARGE ENSEMBLE Learn from the distinctive experience of performing with a large ensemble. All students will take part in an ensemble performance, whether big band, advanced small group, jazz vocal, or a guitar or Latin percussion ensemble. All groups perform in a final concert on the last day of the program.
• DEPARTMENTAL WORKSHOPS Work with master faculty who share your area of strength. Small groups will be broken down by instrument or emphasis to discuss topics from the heritage of the instrument or musical style to ensemble performance and career development. Workshops also include MUSIC COMPOSITION, SONGWRITING, and MAXIMIZING PRACTICE TIME.
Back to top
Back to top
Watch videos of past performances:
- SI 2013 Large Ensemble Concert
- SI 2013 Small Ensemble Concert I
- SI 2013 Small Ensemble Concert II
- SI Faculty Concert