Part Time Circulation Assistant
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
PART TIME ACADMEIC YEAR
Position: Circulation Assistant,
Department: University Libraries
Reports To: Access Services Librarian
Purpose of the Position
Conducts circulation operations and supervises student assistants in the Music Library on Saturdays, 12:00-5:00, and on Sundays, 4:00-9:00; completes stack maintenance activities and searches as assigned. Provides circulation assistance in the Albert M. Greenfield Library as needed.
14 hours/week; Saturday 12:00-5:00, Sunday 4-9, plus 4 hours as scheduled
Public Service – 80%
- Circulates materials using both computer and manual processes to patrons at the Music Library circulation desk and at the Greenfield Library circulation desks as needed.
- Answers directional, informational and basic reference questions, and refers reference and other queries to librarians as appropriate.
- Assists patrons in the use of computer catalogs and indexes, audio-visual equipment and collections, provides appropriate routine emergency and preventive maintenance, and reports malfunctions of equipment.
- Assists patrons with photocopying, provides routine maintenance/cleaning of photocopy machines, and reports malfunctions.
- E. Performs all public service tasks in a friendly and efficient manner; contributes to a welcoming atmosphere for library patrons.
Collection Maintenance (10%)
- Participates in stack maintenance activities including shelving and shelfreading of all library materials; trains and supervises student assistants.
- Processes claims-returned/not-on-shelf searches, following automated and manual procedures, and records related statistics.
- Supervises student assistants in shelving, stacks maintenance, and related projects, and maintains appropriate records on student work.
Financial and Management (5%)
- Collects fines, membership dues, and conducts other appropriate financial transactions at the circulation desk; ensures appropriate cash handling and security procedures.
- Develops and maintains effective methods of communication with patrons, circulation staff, and other library staff.
- Contributes to maintenance of departmental supplies, and timely preparation of supply orders.
- Communicates issues arising on weekend days to Access Services Librarian and/or Music Reference Librarian. Keeps Access Services Librarian informed of work accomplished and weekend activities. Communicates music reference questions to Music Reference Librarian.
Other duties as assigned, including assuring the cleanliness of counter and tabletops and shelving areas as needed.
- Reports to Access Services Librarian.
- Consults and communicates closely with the Music Reference Librarian and other library circulation staff, especially those working in the other library on weekends.
- Supervises student assistants.
Education: A college degree and at least one year of library experience or the equivalent experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead and motivate student assistants in provision of effective and appropriate circulation services and collection maintenance activities.
- Ability to organize, schedule work, set priorities, meet deadlines, follow up independently on assignments, deal with fluctuating workloads, and work in a neat and precise manner.
- Thorough grounding in library procedures and policies relevant to the prescribed areas of responsibilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisors, staff, and the public.
- Ability to ensure through supervision and leadership a friendly, responsive, and productive work and public service environment.
- Ability to communicate facts and ideas orally and in writing.
- Typing skills and familiarity with computers.
To Apply: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage Graduate student to apply.
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER