Music Reference Librarian
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
FULL-TIME CALENDAR YEAR POSITION
Position: Music Reference Librarian
Department: University Libraries
Reports To: Director of University Libraries
Job Description: Provides reference and instructional services to faculty and students in the use of the Music Library and its resources specifically, but also in the use of all University Libraries resources. Promotes library services and collections in person and through social media outreach. Develops and maintains Music Library collections to support the University’s teaching and learning needs in music. Serves, with other librarians, as an advisor to the Director of University Libraries on overall library policies and services. Serves as the Libraries’ liaison to the School of Music, School of Theater Arts, and to subunits of the Division of Liberal Arts as assigned.
Public Service – 50%
- Develops and provides instructional services to faculty and students.
- Provides Music Library circulation services.
- Serves as the liaison to the School of Music, School of Theater Arts, and to subunits of the Division of Liberal Arts as assigned.
- Develops University Libraries’ reference program goals and objectives with other reference librarians.
- Supervises Music Library circulation activities.
- Develops and updates Web pages for Music Library services and collections, and participates in developing overall content for Libraries’ Web pages.
- Answers directional and informational questions from patrons, and answers reference questions in person and online. Assists patrons in the use of online catalogs and indexes, and audiovisual equipment and collections.
- Provides library instruction in the library and in the classroom.
- Develops written and online materials to support and promote instructional efforts and ensure UArts community awareness of library resources and services. Develops subject guides for music and liaison subject areas
Collection Development and Management – 20%
- Selects new materials for the Music Library collections.
- Directs maintenance activities for Music Library collections.
- Manages donations to the Music Library.
Supervision – 15%
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates Music Library staff.
- Oversees hiring, scheduling, training, and supervision of student assistants working in the Music Library.
Financial and Management – 10%
- Manages acquisition budget for Music Library collections.
- With other librarians, advises Director of Libraries on library policies and procedures.
- Participates in librarian and full-staff meetings, and other regular and ad hoc library meetings.
- Develops and maintains effective methods of communication with patrons and with library and university staff.
- Develops and maintains relationships with music materials vendors.
Technical Services – 5%
- Oversees processing of Music Library a/v material.
- Oversees the maintenance of audio and video equipment in the Music Library.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Director of University Libraries.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates Circulation Assistant and student assistants.
- Develops productive working relationships with faculty regarding reference and instructional services and the development of Music Library collections.
- Consults and works very closely with Public Services Librarian regarding the Libraries’ public services policies and procedures.
- Consults and works very closely with Access Services Librarian to assure consistency in circulation procedures and services.
- Consults and works very closely with Technical Services Librarian regarding the Libraries’ technical services policies and procedures.
- Consults and works closely with all librarians and other library staff.
- Serves as the Libraries’ liaison to the faculty, students, and administration of the School of Music, School of Theater, and subunits of the Division of Liberal Arts as assigned.
- Attends meetings of the librarians, library staff, and other regular and ad hoc library meetings.
- An ALA-accredited master’s degree in library/information science and a bachelor’s degree in music; a master’s degree in music is desirable. At least two years of professional experience working in an academic library.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with faculty, students, supervisor and other library staff.
- Knowledge of American music idioms, particularly jazz, preferred.
- Knowledge of all music publication formats and literature in all fields of music study.
- Knowledge of research methods, literature and tools.
- Ability to develop new ideas and contribute to library improvements and outreach efforts.
- Knowledge of activities and current developments in the library profession.
- Working knowledge of foreign languages integral to music study.
- Ability to organize, schedule work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up independently on assignments.
- Thorough grounding in library procedures and policies relevant to the prescribed areas of responsibilities and ability to interpret them for patrons.
- Knowledge of automated procedures in integrated library systems.
- Working knowledge of computer applications especially word processing, spreadsheets, web authoring and browser programs, and social media tools.
- Ability to insure through supervision and leadership a productive work and public service environment.
- Ability to communicate facts and ideas orally and in writing.
To Apply: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER