NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
FULL-TIME CALENDAR YEAR POSITION
Position: Circulation Assistant
Department: University Libraries
Reports To: Access Services Librarian
Job Description: Conducts circulation operations in the Albert M. Greenfield Library as assigned; coordinates and participates in stack maintenance activities, including timely re-shelving of materials, shelfreading, and cleaning projects; assists with interlibrary loan operations; trains and supervises student assistants; creates displays and assists with library outreach promotions.
Public Service (60%)
- Circulates materials using both computer and manual processes to patrons at the Greenfield circulation desks.
- Answers directional and informational questions from patrons, and refers reference and other queries to professional librarians as appropriate.
- Assists patrons in the use of computer catalogs and indexes, and audiovisual equipment and collections; provides appropriate routine emergency and preventive maintenance, and reports malfunctions of equipment.
- Assists patrons with photocopying, provides routine maintenance/cleaning of photocopy machines, and reports malfunctions.
- Assists Reference Librarian with interlibrary loan lending procedures.
- Creates library displays, assists with the creation of outreach materials, contributes to “Staff Recommendations”, and participates in social media outreach through library accounts.
- Performs all public service tasks in a friendly and efficient manner; contributes to a welcoming atmosphere for library patrons.
Collection Maintenance (25%)
- Coordinates stack maintenance activities including shelving and shelfreading of all library materials; trains and supervises student assistants.
- Processes claims-returned/not-on-shelf searches, following automated and manual procedures, and records related statistics.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates student assistants in shelving, stacks maintenance, and related projects, and maintains appropriate records on student work.
- Contributes to maintenance of circulation procedures manual.
Financial and Management (5%)
- Collects fines, membership dues, and conducts other appropriate financial transactions at the circulation desk; ensures appropriate cash handling and security procedures.
- Attends Library Staff, Circulation Working Group, and various other meetings of standing and ad hoc library groups.
- Develops and maintains effective methods of communication with patrons, circulation staff, and other library staff.
- Contributes to maintenance of departmental supplies, and timely preparation of supply orders.
Other duties as assigned, including assuring the cleanliness of counter and tabletops and shelving areas as needed; assisting with course reserve processing during peak course reserve processing times.
- Reports to Access Services Librarian.
- Consults and works closely with other library circulation staff.
- Works with Reference Librarian on interlibrary loan.
- Attends Library Staff, Circulation Working Group, and various other regular and ad hoc library meetings.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates student assistants.
Education: A college degree and at least one year of library experience or the equivalent experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead and motivate student assistants in provision of effective and appropriate circulation services and collection maintenance activities.
- Ability to organize, schedule work, set priorities, meet deadlines, follow up independently on assignments, deal with fluctuating workloads, and work in a neat and precise manner.
- Thorough grounding in library procedures and policies relevant to the prescribed areas of responsibilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisors, staff, and the public.
- Ability to ensure through supervision and leadership a friendly, responsive, and productive work and public service environment.
- Ability to communicate facts and ideas orally and in writing.
- Typing skills and familiarity with computers.
To Apply: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER