Associate Dean of Students
TITLE: Associate Dean of Students
REPORTS TO: Associate VP of Student Affairs/Dean of Students
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Associate Dean of Students oversees the University’s departments of Student Life (which includes residential life, housing, student activities, and orientation), Counseling and Health Services, and the Office of Educational Accessibility. The Associate Dean also supervises the Assistant Director of Student Conduct and the university's student conduct process, interpreting university policies, consulting with academic deans, chairs, faculty, and staff regarding policies and procedures and student rights and responsibilities, and serves as an administrative conduct hearing officer. The Associate Dean assists the AVP/Dean of Students in developing and implementing programs and initiatives to support student retention and success through effective collaborations within the Division of Student Affairs and with the academic leadership of the University, faculty, and staff.
REQUIREMENTS: Required qualifications for this position include a master’s degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education, Student Development, or related field; a minimum of 4-6 years of progressive responsibility in student affairs administration particularly in the areas of residential life, student conduct, and/or counseling/health issues; Demonstrated success as a supervisor of director-level professional staff, administrative support staff and student paraprofessionals; Excellent writing, oral communication, budget and organizational skills; Demonstrated facility with student incident response; Demonstrated practical application of mediation and conflict resolution strategies; ability to use tact and diplomacy to handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations effectively. Knowledge and/or appreciation of the creative arts a plus.
- Directly supervise the Directors of Student Life, Health Services, and Counseling Services, the Assistant Director of Student Conduct, and the Educational Accessibility Advisor and oversee the activities of their areas.
- Work with direct reports to develop and implement plans for and new initiatives in their areas.
- Manage all programs, policies and procedures relating to student conduct and disciplinary matters
- Participate in weekly meetings of the Students of Concern Team and monthly meetings of the University’s Crisis Management Team.
- Oversee the Medical Leave of Absence, the general Leave of Absence, and Withdrawal processes.
- Supervise mandated medical and psychiatric evaluation and decision-making
- Oversee the incident response system and supervise administrators on-call
- Oversee student handbook editing and publication
- Supervise Student Affairs staff providing services for students enrolled in the Summer Pre-College Programs and oversee Summer Pre-College student discipline and incident response processes.
TO APPLY: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER