Assistant Technical Director
POSITION: Assistant Technical Director
DEPARTMENT: Dean’s Office, College of Performing Arts
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist the Technical Director in overseeing and leading the technical production operations for the College of Performing Arts at the University of the Arts; including productions for Music, Dance and Theater. The ATD will have a primary focus in set building, but will be able to assist with and supervise other technical areas as needed.
- Assist the Technical Director with all original productions staged by CPA
- Plan and coordinate the physical production process (set construction) for all CPA productions. Draft technical designs as necessary to assure quality results.
- Estimate labor and material costs for set build, load-ins and outs, and advise management of the potential consequences of any proposed changes. Continually track and report spending in a manner approved by the Production Manager and Technical Director.
- Maintain a safe working environment in the context of the production’s design, including, but not limited to: the design and implementation of overhead rigging systems, structural design of staging; the enforcing of applicable fall protection policies, etc.
- Schedule, train and supervise lab student labor and work-study labor in the scene shop, and during load ins and strikes in cooperation with the Master Carpenter and other production staff. Mentor students in a productive a positive manner.
- Assist the Technical Director in scheduling the load-in and strike of all CPA productions. Supervise and lead the load in and strikes of all mainstage Theater productions, and other productions, as needed.
- Assist the Technical Director in the technical rehearsal process in all spaces as the representative of the technical production. Communicate with the designers and director as necessary to coordinate notes and subsequent work sessions. Stagger shifts with the Technical Director or other production staff to cover evening and weekend rehearsals or note calls.
- Help maintain the condition of all CPA performance spaces. Coordinate with Technical Director the maintenance needs of the spaces and how they will be addressed.
- Assist with CPA productions, which take place in non-traditional spaces. Co-ordinate with TD for the needs of these events.
- Monitor the condition of all shop equipment including power and hand tools, all rigging equipment. Perform preventative maintenance on equipment and arrange for the repair and replacement when necessary.
- Attend production meetings as needed.
- Coordinate with the Master Carpenter for the re-configuring of the Caplan studio risers and seating.
- Other duties as required by CPA. CPA production is an evolving environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater
- At least three years of experience in educational theater
- Should be skilled with all basic shop equipment, proficient with Vectorworks or AutoCad and should have basic rigging skills.
- He/she should be comfortable managing large student crews and working with both professional and student designers and technicians.
- Production budgeting experience is preferable as is a general knowledge of lighting, projections and sound.
- Additional professional theater experience also preferred.
TO APPLY: Interested, qualified applicants should submit letters of application and resumes to the Human Resources Department via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure job title is in the Subject line.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, The University of the Arts publishes its Annual Safety Report at the following link for your reference:
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER